Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fireball?

I have just seen an orange coloured object and wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to what it might have been. It was travelling west to east I was trying to view Jupiter at the time about 9:50. I grabbed the bino's and think I could see a very faint trail. It was moving quite quickly and passed over in about 1 minute at a guess.

Anyone got any ideas?

p.s.

If you happened to see a brief post on an earlier topic don't worry, teach me to read the dates before posting. :oops:

I saw the object you describe whilst viewing the Cygnus area with binoculars at about the time you mention. It crossed my field of view from West to East and at first I assumed it was a satellite but it appeared 'larger than your average'. Tracking with the binos I saw it as an orb with a diameter greater than the apparent size of Jupiter and it seemed to have a 'glow' of it's own rather than just reflected light. Orange/yellow in colour it was indeed leaving a faint trail,greyish in colour that dissipated more rapidly than the usual aircraft condensation trail. I did check Starry Night for satellites in the area and time but nothing fitted the bill.

Cheers CW

sounds like something falling slowwly through the atmosphere,

abit large though if it was larger than the angular size of jupiter?

one for the thread on have you seen anything strange while out doing astronomy, it seems this object is one of many?

i saw it too 21:51 BST travelling what appeared to be from altair in the south to vega in north, but it all happened to quick to be sure. could it have been this?

FENGYUN 1C DEB 99025DBH 32445 23.25 3.34 ???? ???? 2596 349 7.9 0.12 10 0.5

regards

mike

Could be the same object, the colour is right as are direction of travel and time.

I would guess that it was just entering the atmosphere when I saw it as the trail was very faint.

Also having checked the clocks I would say that my sighting was closer to 21:53 to 54.

Hope that helps.

Archived