Dehumidifier

My shed is pretty well ventilated, and when in it you can feel the breeze blowing through the gap around the roof and also between a few boards that have shrunk. Despite this I have recently noticed damp on shelving and cupboard surfaces, and the optics seem to mist up very easily and take a while to clear.

Does a dehumidifier work ok in a ventilated shed? Any recommendations to cope with 5’x8’x8’ shed volume? I plan on running it day time hours constantly, using free energy off the solar panels, and wonder would it also be needed at night?

Thanks in advance

Adam. 

Hi Adam,

I use a dehumidifier in my Pulsar Dome and run it to a setting of 60% humidity. I have connected a drain hose so it is now "set & forget". You need a refrigerant dehumidifier to combat the cold weather.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/cd10l/electriq-cd10l-dehumidifier?refsource=APadwords&refsource=Apadwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0vnQBRDmARIsAEL0M1mqmfg-5pSdbeD61ZLaA0n4dgdwGU5VqXiNHm8R1P6Qfusk0mW5zw4aAtjHEALw_wcB#maindesc

Steve

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks fellas, gonna need something as I'm now worried dew sitting on my scope lenses and mirrors for protracted periods of time.

Dehumidifier will definitely help.  As noted by @sloz1664 the ideal way is to drain it and then set to between 50 and 60%.  I switch mine off remotely when imaging, and then back on after and then just leave it on.

There are differing views on the best type, and having both (dessicant in obsy and compressor in garage) the dessicant definitely works better at lower temperatures.

11 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thank-you.  I believe I've seen a few members with that same one, when I did a search.  I'll get that ordered before something gets damaged.

I got mine from Amazon.  It's a couple of quid cheaper but as I have Prime delivery was free so a no brainer.

Archived