Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Pixel Processor users

Hey all,

I've been trying to get something "better" than DSS, which has led me through many, many trial versions of various software. Finally I landed on APP, which really ticks a lot of boxes for me in terms of usability and insight into the stacking process, even if it is slow a glaciers to get it done.

But...

I simply can't get the result to be usable after a stack. I have 9 hours of lights with 80 good flats, which gives me a pretty good result in DSS, but with APP the remaining light pollution and gradients are completely impossible to remove. it's as if some demon has thrown in random gradients just to mess with further processing.

This leads me to my question: How many of you are using it? What problems and gotcha's have you found? Settings that can throw it off? Anything?

I'm trialling APP to and really liking it. I do have trouble when using calibration frames, especially flats and perhaps that is because I sometimes use flats from a different session.

I have also found that if I haven't changed the view to 'linear' rather than 'linear-cal', then the effects of the flats is doubled in the view. Going back to 'linear' often cures this.

APP also applies a good stretch to the stack that accentuates the gradients and vignetting. The removal tools do a very good job of removing these though. It is also worth removing the saturation tick initially as any gradients are again exaggerated.

When every thing is ticked correctly, calibration frames match, etc, etc, the resulting images are excellent. Keep with it.

David

This hobby always springs surprises, my experience is almost the opposite! I couldn’t get along with DSS calibrating and stacking LRGB subs, but I went with the 30 day trial on APP, followed Mabula’s and Sara’s tutorials, and had enough success to convince me to purchase the software.

I guess like all such packages it seems sensitive to the quality of the subs, LRGB results obtained on clear, dark nights are vastly superior to others, and in my experience, no amount of light pollution removal or background calibration can make up for this. However, this could still be my less than expert use of the software.

I don’t know if this is significant but because I set up and take down every time, I take flats after every session. 

Mabula looks to be very helpful on the user’s forum so that’s worth a look.

Hope you can get it sorted,

Clear Skies

Archived