NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

34 Hrs around IC348 with Gnomus and Mrs Gnomus

ollypenrice

I first saw this Ha nebula in Yves' excellent and ongoing widefield of NGC1333 to California and thought it would make a nice study in its own right. Gnomus and Mrs Gnomus agreed so off we went in the Twin Tak outfit. However, the sky has been a pain, as has the technology. The USB port broke on one of the filterwheels so it shot L all night on one side, rather than RGB, even though the files all had a colour suffix. Not to worry, the 14 hours Lum layer which resulted from this was a peach! Thin high haze, clear but not quite, affflicted the other two nights but a total of 14 hours in RGB produced a tolerably smooth result with which we could work. The 8 hours in Ha was, alas, very noisy indeed but we gave it the thuggery and pressed on regardless. So after a troubled 3 nights we have this in a total of 34 hours. 

Open cluster 1C348 plus VdB19 and Barnard 4. I can't be sure how the Ha region is catalogued. My software doesn't have it.

IC%20348%20VdB19%20and%20%20B4%20HaLRGB%

Or for a closer look at the key objects...

IC%20348%20VdB19%20and%20%20B4%20HaLRGB%

Olly and Gnomus/MrsGnomus

Great work Olly and the Gnomuses!

I reckon that the HII region is (from Aladin/Simbad) LBN 159.59-18.51 and Ced 18a, though it's all mixed up with various parts of clouds, dark nebs, and ISM.

So much going on there, and so much that would warrant even closer looks (the yellow reflection neb between the two caught my eye). You've also grabbed a very nice and very red little galaxy that caught my eye -  near top, about a 1/3 in from the right that has an obscure 2MASS catalog number - I love finding little things like this! Bravo!

That must have been a few busy nights with all those gremlins to deal with.

I can't put my finger on what it is, but for some reason this image doesn't grab me as Yves' wide field did. Maybe there's a lack of depth. (Or maybe it's just me.)

Surely it can't be that mono is left in the dust by osc? (sorry for the poor pun.)

54 minutes ago, wimvb said:

That must have been a few busy nights with all those gremlins to deal with.

I can't put my finger on what it is, but for some reason this image doesn't grab me as Yves' wide field did. Maybe there's a lack of depth. (Or maybe it's just me.)

Surely it can't be that mono is left in the dust by osc? (sorry for the poor pun.)

I greatly admire Yves' image but we haven't seen this region at this scale on the web.

Mono will always beat OSC in astronomy, in my view, but this image is taken with a very old chip technology and Yves' with the latest. The real issue is not OSC versus mono but old CCD versus new CMOS. I'm more than a little impressed by new CMOS and am watching these cameras closely.

Olly

I wish I could take a picture like that and its nice to see something new, not seen this target before. Love it.

Unfortunately the thing that has pushed CMOS forward is the mass marked DSLR application and that is very much routed in OSC, hence you may never see these sensor come out in mono as the mono CMOS sensors are not required in larger formats for their core market. But once the OSC CMOS cameras exceed the mono CCD cameras there is really no future in CCD irrespective.

In the end I would not even say that it is the modern CMOS sensors that are better than the old CCD, the IMX071 in the QHY168c is not new and I would take it over a CCD OSC any day.

That is a great image in spite of all your troubles, so congratulations!

PS. I am just about to post my weekend efforts on the same object, with quite different equipment and FOWs, so no comparisons please.

Archived