Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will Idas P2 filter work alongside Baader RGB in my Filter wheel

Craig123

Hi All

A quick question someone may be able to help with.I was wondering if you can mix filters in this way..I would be replacing the Luminance  Baader 1.25 in my wheel with the Idas P2 LPS to help with light Pollution.

TIA

Craig

I have mentioned filters and I do need to point out couple of things to consider prior to using such combination:

If you are using any sort of focal reducer / field flattener, you might notice that images with P2 IDAS differ by tiny amount compared to Baader filters - this is because these filters are not par focal (Baaders should be between themselves) and also I believe they don't have same optical thickness - so with focal reducers and field flatteners where distance to sensor maters for image scale and good field across the image - you might find that there are very tiny differences between L done with P2 IDAS and Baader RGB.

Depending on your LP using P2 IDAS as Lum only might not be enough. I shoot in heavy LP (red zone) and I used this combination last time to do M31 - meaning L with IDAS P2 and color with Baader RGB and I found that while L was very good for given conditions I had real trouble managing color subs and gradients in them.

So for me, solution is to move to 2" P2 IDAS to use with all other filters (except narrow band of course), meaning I'll be using 1.25" clear glass + 2" P2 for Lum and 1.25" R,G,B + 2" P2 for color

3 hours ago, vlaiv said:

I have mentioned filters and I do need to point out couple of things to consider prior to using such combination:

If you are using any sort of focal reducer / field flattener, you might notice that images with P2 IDAS differ by tiny amount compared to Baader filters - this is because these filters are not par focal (Baaders should be between themselves) and also I believe they don't have same optical thickness - so with focal reducers and field flatteners where distance to sensor maters for image scale and good field across the image - you might find that there are very tiny differences between L done with P2 IDAS and Baader RGB.

Depending on your LP using P2 IDAS as Lum only might not be enough. I shoot in heavy LP (red zone) and I used this combination last time to do M31 - meaning L with IDAS P2 and color with Baader RGB and I found that while L was very good for given conditions I had real trouble managing color subs and gradients in them.

So for me, solution is to move to 2" P2 IDAS to use with all other filters (except narrow band of course), meaning I'll be using 1.25" clear glass + 2" P2 for Lum and 1.25" R,G,B + 2" P2 for color

Thanks..very useful to hear this.My location is semi rural..i think sqm is around 20.5  so it might not be as beneficial esp with cost of filter.Ive just moved over to ccd after battling with Sony A7s for too long so early days.

Archived