Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield Question

Randalloverby

Is it possible to get a good polar alignment with just the polar finder for this setup. I've tried it mounted on top of the CN6 and have managed 4-5 minute subs but I would like to lighten the load with just the camera mounted and perhaps more portable.

Screenshot (65).png

Just my thoughts as I see you've not had a reply.

I don't see why not as far as I assume you don't use the cn6 other than as a piggy back mount for the camera and lens and isn't your polar scope independent of that?

You can get flash hot shoe mount for a red dot finder for aiming the camera be it for goto alignment or target aiming.

I've seen posts from members using a camera with lens on an eq5 isn't that like your mount?

11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Just my thoughts as I see you've not had a reply.

I don't see why not as far as I assume you don't use the cn6 other than as a piggy back mount for the camera and lens and isn't your polar scope independent of that?

You can get flash hot shoe mount for a red dot finder for aiming the camera be it for goto alignment or target aiming.

I've seen posts from members using a camera with lens on an eq5 isn't that like your mount?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the EQ5 is like the AVX or not but I will check. The red dot finder should help out a lot with the ball head mount for the camera. I could remove the ballhead which would simplify things some but I will also loose some framing options. We have a couple of clear nights coming up and the thought of just imaging with the camera on the mount itself is very tempting.

I use the EQ5 pro with camera and lens and can get 5 min plus subs, depending on the focal length being used. I'm not sure if your mount has a polar scope? If it does, then you will be able to get a good enough polar alignment by looking through it and using the bolts to place polaris in the right spot (I use an app called polar finder which tells me where to place it). Balancing is an issue for me as the weights are too heavy for the camera and lens. I tend to image with the weight removed completely, and it seems to track OK. Hope this helps...

12 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

I use the EQ5 pro with camera and lens and can get 5 min plus subs, depending on the focal length being used. I'm not sure if your mount has a polar scope? If it does, then you will be able to get a good enough polar alignment by looking through it and using the bolts to place polaris in the right spot (I use an app called polar finder which tells me where to place it). Balancing is an issue for me as the weights are too heavy for the camera and lens. I tend to image with the weight removed completely, and it seems to track OK. Hope this helps...

Thanks Tim, I do have a polar finder in the mount and use stellarium to position Polaris. So once you do the polar alignment do you do anything else, 2 star alignment etc ?

1 hour ago, Randalloverby said:

Thanks Tim, I do have a polar finder in the mount and use stellarium to position Polaris. So once you do the polar alignment do you do anything else, 2 star alignment etc ?

I do a one star alignment usually. The difficult thing with Lenses is focusing. I use live view and zoom to 10X but its still difficult at times. :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, StargeezerTim said:

I do a one star alignment usually. The difficult thing with Lenses is focusing. I use live view and zoom to 10X but its still difficult at times. :icon_biggrin:

Gotcha, thanks Tim. I've tried live view a few times and have also been able to use autofocus on the brighter stars. As of now I've only setup here behind the house so using the laptop and BYEOS to help out. We are expecting clear weather here Fri. and Sat. night and I will work on it. Thanks again for the advice.

I use my 7 inch android tablet running dslr controller to control my canon camera, it's great for focusing and has an intervalometer as well (it's very light and portable) . Focus on any star where the thirds intersect it spreads the fucus more across the lens.

I use a AVX too..great mount..polar aligning is to do with the mount..where you point it afterwards is to do with the star alignment (goto accuracy).. I use a 2 star alignment with 4 calibrations..and puts the target in the middle as long as I use my illuminated reticle that has a box in the middle where I place the star on the alignment procedure..If you're having difficulty  using the camera then I've heard of people using lasers for pointing..or you could use the scope for PA then swap over to the camera..PA will still be the same,with a higher pointing accuracy..

You could use the ASPA  which is in utilities menu and in the align mount feature..its not as accurate as proper PA  but be good enough for camera work I'd of thought..

You could mount the red dot finder separate to the dslr that way you can still align the mount for goto (after pa)  and tweak the camera framing using the camera ball head.

Lasers carry risk of use to airlines, red dot finders work fine and are safe.

17 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I use my 7 inch android tablet running dslr controller to control my canon camera, it's great for focusing and has an intervalometer as well (it's very light and portable) . Focus on any star where the thirds intersect it spreads the fucus more across the lens.

I'm going to check into that, would love to lighten the load. Thanks.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

There's also a thread on using a 7 inch Windows 8.1 / 10 tablet and getting byeos etc. running.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will get to setup tonight and fine tune everything then check into getting a tablet, be nice if byeos would run on a android device but from what I've read its not compatible.

Archived