NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A faint eagle low on the horizon

Jannis

Ever since i saw those NASA images, i just had to give this target a try at some point - and today was my first attempt! :)

The sun was setting at 18:30, and target was setting at 19:30, so there wasn't much time for trial and error. By the time the sun had set it was only 9 degrees up on the sky - that low i'd normally never be imaging, but this target never really get very high in Norway.

Ha was mostly used as L data and as red, but RGB was also used for star color. While i would have loved a bit more details and sharpness, i guess with my equipment, exposure time, the low position in the sky, and right after sunset - that would be asking too much, but I'm still quite happy with this one. :)

Captured with the Polemaster trough the Explorer 200, guided with the QHY5L. Gain 100. Flats added, but no dark or bias.

Ha: 117x 30s
R: 20x 8s
G: 4x 8s
B: 18x 8s
Total: 64 minutes

Eagle HaRGB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! :)

I'm also surprised i was able to capture this from Norway, considering how low on the shy it was. It's too late for me to capture any more data now though, as by the time i get dark skies it's behind the trees, but i will probably give it another go next year.. :)

Archived