Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lightweight Grab and Go Mount!

hadyn42

Hello Guys

Please can you help me in deciding what would be a suitable lightweight "go-to" mount that I could use for either my SW ED80 telescope for observing or my Lunt 50 Ha telescope?

I don't really need to use both telescopes on the mount at one time. I would possible like to do some imaging with this setup if possibly too.  I already have a HEQ5 Pro and know this is very suitable for the job, but just feel this mount is not too much a grab and go setup at my age now.  I did see Gav using a SW Star Adventurer at SGL2017 with a Lunt 50 attached and he was doing some imaging,  so at the moment I am looking at one of these or a SW Star Discovery Go-To mount.

Have you guys have any further thoughts on using either of these please?

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Weight wise the Skywatcher GTi should just make it, at least for the observation aspect. Will be a bit close on the ED 80 I suspect.

It "MIGHT" do small scope imaging. The mount is Alt/Az but a few days back someone posted there is new software for it and that the new software allowed an equitorial configuration/operation. However imaging adds weight - flatenner, tubes, camera. If the camera is a DSLR I suspect that if the idea is the ED80+DSLR then it will be too much. ED80+ZWO or ZS61+DSLR likely OK.

Could be worth asking somewhere like FLO further, they may have additional details.

One thing to remember is that it is a G&G mount and thinking that yoiu can start with it and then add one bit and then another then maybe another, is not going to work. The mount is rated at 5Kg, people talk of heavier but ultimately it might be OK or the motors could fail. Sort of wave bye-bye to a £250 mount

The other options are the iOptron mounts but their SmartEQ appears to have disappeared, it also was rated at 5Kg, really looked like 5Kg was going to be a bit much. The iOptron CEM25 is the next and that is probably more then you want (cost and size) but they are light weight items.

Archived