NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ EQ6 accessories

scitmon

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a AZ EQ6 GT and was just wondering what recommendations there are for accessories to buy with it?

I have penciled in the lynx astro usb cable and power cable - are they necessary?

Power Supply wise I have been using https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PUNIEI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my current Skywatcher AZ Goto mount, but is it best to get something like https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html instead?

The Lynx power cable is lovely but of course a nice to have.  However, it does make life easier with handling and packing away etc. and being orange is more visible than the OEM item.

The power supplies are of course different, with one being a switch mode 12V and one being a regulated 13.8V.  In my experience my AZ EQ6 much prefers to run at 13.8V (it reduces the current), and naturally the cleaner and more stable supply from the Nevada lends itself to better overall performance, but both should work absolutely fine.

The AZ-EQ6-GT is quite sensitive to its power supply. If its short of power the red light flashes and it stops working!!

With that in mind I would suggest that the first item you link to is borderline and if you ever add dew strips, cameras etc it will fall short.

The second one is a much better option but still nowhere near over the top. Or you could use a leisure battery ??

The mount comes with a power lead but if you will be wanting to attach it to a laptop then you will need the USB cable.

I upgraded to this mount from a HEQ5 and I am very happy with it. If ever you want/need to take it to bits there is a strip down guide on my website - 

https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/equipment     photos here

https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/how-to     strip down guide here - towards the bottom of the page.

3 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

The second one is a much better option but still nowhere near over the top. Or you could use a leisure battery ??

I don't have a leisure battery, and considering I only use my telescope at home, have not considered it to be worth the extra outlay.  However I'm willing to consider them if they are more suited, or perhaps you have another power supply to recommend that is better suited?  At the moment I am using an extension lead to power the mount and my dslr camera, I don't have anything else like dew strips yet.

I am no fan of mains power outside in the wet/damp !!

In a permanent observatory etc with RCD protection, buried cables and waterproof sockets etc its fine but if its for a mobile setup I would personally use a leisure battery. 

Something like this http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/75-ah-lucas-leisure-battery/ would give you all you need and be relatively future proof if you do start adding extras like dew heaters etc.

Dont be tempted to use a car starter battery - they look similar to a leisure battery but they are completely different animals !

Hope that helps.

I think I want to stick with mains power.  I will buy and keep the power bench indoors, and run a lynx astro silicone power cable from that (maybe with a lynx extension lead as well depending on position of mount).  I have a 30m usb extension cable to connect my camera to my laptop indoors, and I used to power my camera from the mains with a normal outdoor extension lead, but is that too risky?  I could switch back to the camera batteries but I'm not sure how long they normally last?

1 hour ago, johnrt said:

A pair of M12 nylock nuts and penny washers to replace those awful hand tightened nuts that lock down the altitude adjustment which simply aren't capable of holding anything in place

Well said - that's a poor piece of design but thankfully easily fixed !! If you need a couple of marine grade nyloc M12's and penny washers just PM me your address - we are boatbuilders and have LOADS of them kicking about!

I'll try to keep it as short as possible, should be easy as I have a conservatory with patio next to it where I mostly setup from.  I'll see how running the camera from batteries goes.

Usb Cable wise, I bought one with repeaters built in, worked well so far.

Archived