Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SG Pro does not support relative focusser

cjdawson

Hi all.

I'm checking out my options prior to spending any more money.    Last night I was playing around with the software to check out how well it works with my scope.

It seems that 95% of the features work fine.  However, there is one thing that it complains about.

When I attach my #1206 Meade electric focusser, SG Pro complains that it does not support relative focussers.   so I'm left high and dry when it comes to focussing.

Because of this, I'm thinking that I'll be best off sticking with SharpCap, as I will have to focus manually.

Any ideas of how to solve this issue.   Btw, I'm attempting to see if I can get my ZWO ASI290MM working with an F3.3 FR, and I "might" be able to do it if I take out my flip mirror.  I was close last time I tried, but ran out of focus adjustment.   Since then, I've figured out how to bring the camera a little closer to the scope, so with some luck, I might be able to achieve focus and image at F3.3!

That focuser is a standard DC motor and not a stepper, which is needed for auto focusing, as it need to be able to read where it is and repeat its position, DC motors can’t do that and dont have the built in electronics for repeatability and are nowhere near as accurate.. :)

If you don't fancy the DIY approach,  you could use one of these to control the Meade focuser:

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Shoestring.asp?p=0_10_5_0_5_40

(Opticstar are a UK supplier, full details of the product can be found at the manufacturer's site here: http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_fc.htm)

The advantage of these is that the driver software can simulate the operation of a stepper motor, so that SGP thinks it's talking to a stepper motor whereas it's actually a DC motor.  I use this on my setup with SGP - it works reasonably well, but is without doubt no substitute for a stepper motor system, as a DC motor can't guarantee the positioning of the focuser.  The Shoestring units aren't that cheap but they are convenient.

At some stage I'll go down the Arduino route and do the job properly.

Archived