Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Eyepieces

Hi All,

I have been a member of the forum for quite some time and have finally acquired a telescope.

I have picked up what I think is a charity shop bargain - got an Orion Optics 200 reflector with vixen gp2 mount.  However, although it did come with two eyepieces I'm not sure on their quality, one is an unnamed 17mm the other is a Skywatcher 10mm.

I'm interested in peoples opinions on which eyepieces (and/or a barlow) I could add to them and replace ultimately.  I've read info on the Vixen SLV's and although pricey am wondering whether these would be good with this scope.  My only concern is the field of view (50 degrees) but being a novice don't know how important this will be, especially as I'm a forty year old novice!  Are there any other eyepieces I should be considering?

I will also be getting a collimator to ensure everything is aligned.

Thanks

Looks like you picked up a bargain there. You've lots of options for eyepieces. I'm (still) a fan of Plossls, but if you fancy a wider field and more eye relief the Celestron Ex-Cel LX and BST Starguider ranges are very hard to beat for the money.

The Vixen SLVs are by all accounts very good. Same field of view as a Plossl (and 50 degrees is fine) but better eye relief. You might find the other two options above to be better value though.

I'd start by trying the eyepieces it came with and see how you get on with those before making a decision.

Billy.

I would leave the Barlow for now, you often find that the eyepieces ranges cover the options you need.  I found I didn't need a Barlow after a while.  The other thing is, is that a lot of stargazing is done at low powers, so negates the need for magnification of existing eyepieces. 

1 hour ago, smeech said:

My only concern is the field of view (50 degrees) but being a novice don't know how important this will be

Hi.

An eyepiece with a narrow field hides some of the image your scope produces. Say you have a 2-inch focuser, the usable image formed by the scope is about 43mm or 44mm across. If your eyepiece's front lens is say, 20mm across, everything around that 20mm limit is wasted. Thus the first eyepiece you should have is one with the widest possible entry lens.

With a 1.25-inch focuser, the usable image is 27mm across, that's the diameter of your basic eyepiece's front lens. Explore's 24mm/68° fills the bill perfectly, and it's currently sold for 62% of the regular price.

Thanks guys.

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

With a 1.25-inch focuser, the usable image is 27mm across, that's the diameter of your basic eyepiece's front lens. Explore's 24mm/68° fills the bill perfectly, and it's currently sold for 62% of the regular price.

Where is it being discounted?

Archived