Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sol 22/10/17

niallk

Hi,

Chanced a fleeting gap in the clouds, and as I'm finding with Ha, one often gets rewarded for making the effort!

There's a very interesting prominence visible on the disc of the sun now: visible here at 10 o'clock on this pic courtesy of GONG.  I've not seen anything like this before in my brief experience to-date.

It looks more impressive at the EP, and is more fully on the face of the disc.

I didn't even notice it SS, but as I tuned in DS - whoaaa! There's also a prom on the limb just near it (as shown below).

This 'fuzzy prom' on the disc (apologies - I'm a complete newbie, and don't know the right terminology) seems to be highly sensitive to tuning: suddenly darkening as I tune and/or pan slightly through the sweetest spot on my scope.  Taking off the DS filter, I can see it SS - now I know what I'm looking for  However it is not so imposing/impressive.  DS 'ing is really bringing out beautiful detail.

sol.PNG.39ceea15ec32b808f052b1c3ec34915b.PNG

-Niall

Nice report Nial :icon_biggrin:

I've just had a very brief 1st light of my LS50 (SS) and I saw that strange fuzzy / smeared dark area on the edge of the disk as well. I put it down as a sort of spreadout filament but I'm so new to this that's bound to be wrong !

I'm pleased have had my 1st look through the scope and even more pleased that it works !

2 minutes ago, John said:

Nice report Nial :icon_biggrin:

I've just had a very brief 1st light of my LS50 (SS) and I saw that strange fuzzy / smeared dark area on the edge of the disk as well. I put it down as a sort of spreadout filament but I'm so new to this that's bound to be wrong !

I'm pleased have had my 1st look through the scope and even more pleased that it works !

Delighted to hear that your new scope is delivering nice views John!

I read every thread I could find on the LS50, and was quite nervous prior to 1st light - and hugely relieved when I saw detail :)

I have a niggling worry that my DS unit gives best views on the extreme limit of tilting.  While I'm very happy with the views so far (today is only 2nd light!), I wonder if I'm not fully able to tune the centre of the bandpass through the response of the internal etalon ... and am I possibly missing the best performance it can give??

Well, back to keeping an eye out the window on a patch of blue sky that might just work its way over from the horizon to the sun, while watching out for nasty spots of rain from the grey clouds presently hiding the sun as I leave my setup in the back garden :D !

Archived