Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What eyepiece for large dob?

russ

hehe normally i jump on a thread like this to offer my opinion. Now here i am the one getting the big dob and i'm clueless :D

Now i normally jump in with "get a Hyperion if the budget is tight".

But if i'm honest i wasn't impressed with my Hyperion 24mm when i used it in an Explorer 200.

Just wondering if anyone has any views on the Vixen LVW 22mm? It seems to get raves reviews everywhere. I previously avoided it as i thought the Hyperion was a LVW clone which made the Vixen look expensive. But other reviewers say this isn't the case and the Vixen is a big step up.

Also, there is a Nagler 16mm T2 hanging around the For Sale forums. Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Russ

How about a WO 28mm UWAN?

do you know of one going very cheap :D The budget is really puny. But you hit the nail on the head for what i really want. The 16mm UWAN would be perfect for me but even that is too expensive. Looking to spend £120-130 absolutely top whack.

Russ

oh dear just found this review of the UWAN series and the guy loves them, except the 16mm. All the others get a solid 9/10, the 16mm gets a 6/10 because it performs badly in an f5 Newtonian.....crud!

Okay, scrub the UWAN

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1490

I would like a 17.2mm Speers Waller. But only Rother Valley sell them and their prices are way too high. The Speers is $119 in the US from various dealers but over here RVO want £140! Hows that work????

Russ

I've just sold my 16mm UWAN - it performed very well (Nagler-like) at F/6 - I did not try it at F5.

It's now replaced with a Nagler 16mm T5 which is even more Nagler-like (well exactly like one to be precise :D ). Eye relief of the N16 T5 is not as nice as the UWAN though - thats the only downside I've found so far.

The 16mm T2 on Astro B&S is good optically but a bit worn around the edges cosmetically - its a bit overpriced IMHO.

I would be a little cautious about the longer focal length Speers-WALER's - I owned a 24.7mm one once which was good at F/10 but went downhill fast below F/8. The shorter FL ones are supposed to be very good though. The MKII's might be better than the MKI's in this respect.

I've also had a Vixen LVW 22mm and liked it very much - the closest thing to A 24mm Panoptic I've used.

John

Oh hell, i have right lot to choose from now:

The Nagler 16mm T2 - he has agreed to my upper limit, 15% below the current asking price. Is does look a little worn but i suppose the price would be higher otherwise

Now heard back about the Speers 17mm - £99 all in from the states and that's not dodging the tax. Had the 10mm S1 and it was joint best eyepiece i've owned

And then theres the Vixen 22mm from Orion Optics. I couldn't beat their price even from the States.

So which one?

Oh hell, i have right lot to choose from now:

The Nagler 16mm T2 - he has agreed to my upper limit, 15% below the current asking price. Is does look a little worn but i suppose the price would be higher otherwise

Now heard back about the Speers 17mm - £99 all in from the states and that's not dodging the tax. Had the 10mm S1 and it was joint best eyepiece i've owned

And then theres the Vixen 22mm from Orion Optics. I couldn't beat their price even from the States.

So which one?

I'd say the Spears first choice (I looked through that 10mm you had. Awsume EP) followed by the Vixen EP.

If it were me the gamble is too high on the Televue bud.

Rob

Archived