NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Halfords Phaze 4in1 jump starter - ok for neq6-pro?

Hi SGL astronomers, has anyone tried or using a car jump starter power pack for their goto eq mounts? 

I am thinking of getting the Halfords Phaze 4in1 (http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/phaze-4-in-1-jump-starter), to use with my NEQ6pro.

is that good enough? Will I get a few hours of moderate skewing but mainly tracking?

thanks!

You'd probably get a couple of hours if you are just running the mount. Less if you are powering anti-dew bands, cameras etc as well. You should never run this type of battery flat. Most people recommend not draining it more than half way - say 8 amps. If your mount draws 2 amps that would mean 4 hours. Less if the temperature is really low. You also need to make sure that you keep the battery topped up if you don't use it for a length of time. So checking it and topping it up every few weeks. 

I used to use something like this for my celestron mount. It did run out on me a couple of times so now I have a mains power supply distribution box that I made a couple of years ago now.

For the price of the Halfords unit linked on top of the page I'd sooner get a leisure battery for around the same price plus it would last for hours too, the lead acid batteries in the jump starters can pack up if you don't keep an eye on them from what I've read.

Archived