Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning eyepiece and bins

Peco4321

Most people seem to use the following:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

I have used this and it's very good. The cloth is meant to be a finer grade than normal micro fiber cloths, and the fluid is safe for lenses and their coatings. 

Don't think it can be used on Newtonian mirrors though. 

I just lightly flick the surface with a microfiber cloth to remove any grit prior to trying to remove oils and tree sap spots.  After giving the cloth a vigorous shaking, I then huff upward onto the lens (to avoid spitting on it) to put a bit of pure water vapor on it and then lightly wipe with the microfiber cloth until it's dry again.  I check to see if any oils/spots are left and carefully repeat.  I've been doing this with my camera lenses as well for 20+ years without incident.  Nothing against LukeSkywatcher, but unless I've just put a t-shirt on, I can't be sure it's clean enough to use on my lenses.  If I'm going to keep a cloth around to clean with, I prefer (these) microfiber ones because they never make that dreaded scraping sound on nearly clean lenses that I sometimes get with cotton cloths.

Archived