SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Harvest Moon...or not?

orion25

Traditionally, the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox is called the Harvest Moon, and normally that happens in September, but...this year, the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox is in October.
Any thoughts...

SEPTEMBER FULL MOON CROP 9-05-17 A.jpg

9 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shot Reggie, the moon was lovely lastnight here mate, quite mezmerising, it stirs something inside with being full, years ago we would hunt hare in the full moon. well done. charl.

Thanks, Charl. This is one of my first moon shots with my new Nikon D3200, no scope, just point-and-shoot. I'm happy with how it came out :happy7:

45 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

you must have a steady hand mate, I'm very wobbley without the tripod, it took me about 10 shots to get a half decent shot of a spider the other night . charl.

I took about twenty shots at slightly different shutter speeds. Since the moon was so bright, I could use a faster shutter speed to get the camera to "lock in" better on the focus. There were a few fuzzy ones. This was one of the better ones.

2 hours ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Charl. This is one of my first moon shots with my new Nikon D3200, no scope, just point-and-shoot. I'm happy with how it came out :happy7:

Same camera I use Reggie, it's very capable as your image shows. My vote is for September btw.

Cracking image.

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

Same camera I use Reggie, it's very capable as your image shows. My vote is for September btw.

Cracking image.

Thanks, John. I'm still learning the camera; it's also the one I took the wide-field eclipse photos with:

599c7eac558da_DSC_0362SM.thumb.jpg.08b3ffc8e5d6b2efbd39e76fc8265eea.jpg

I can't wait for Mars next summer! I plan on getting some good pics of the opposition.

Oh, and my vote's for September, too!:hello2:

Archived