Permanently joining cables in a tight space outside?

RayD

I stumbled on these little handy things.  Used a couple this morning for a power supply connection to the pier and they are excellent.

59a41cc460352_20170828_14281220.thumb.jpg.b124466f1ddc0bf058685522fe21491b.jpg

59a41cd4a1b85_20170828_14282119.thumb.jpg.0c16ba9b00dee1614f7679dac8e424ec.jpg

They are water sealed heat shrink (glue inside) and the ring in the middle is low temperature solder.  You strip the ends, overlap them in the middle and use your heat source (I use a gas soldering iron) to heat up, and the solder melts joining the cable as the tubing shrinks and makes a water tight seal.

Great idea and a perfect solution to an age old problem.

16 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

They are good, you can also get similar with a wire included for terminating the outer of a coaxial cable.

Alan

I never knew that Alan.  I've never seen them until just accidentally finding them, but they do work really well.  I'll have a look for the other type you've mentioned.

12 minutes ago, RayD said:

I never knew that Alan.  I've never seen them until just accidentally finding them, but they do work really well.  I'll have a look for the other type you've mentioned.

They are used a lot in Aerospace when multiple coax cables need to fit into Amphenol connectors, also useful if you want to reduce a wires diameter.

M835192-3.jpg.df94e14d89cdd6b6ed19671b4c3ef0c4.jpg

Tyco_Electronics_Raychem_Solder_Sleeves_Coaxial_Heatshrink.jpg.81fd2e3833d4a9b242ad46149f3bca14.jpg

Alan

Thank you Ray :)  I've ordered a batch from Amazon and will try them.  I do lots of connecting wires particularly with my 3D printers, sometimes in awkward places where it's difficult or impossible to get two hands in, so these should be ideal :)

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Thank you Ray :)  I've ordered a batch from Amazon and will try them.  I do lots of connecting wires particularly with my 3D printers, sometimes in awkward places where it's difficult or impossible to get two hands in, so these should be ideal :)

No problem Gina.  They are really handy, I'm sure you'll find them useful like me :thumbright:

Archived