Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a difference a dark sky makes.

Testing my new Orion Optics VX8 in Swanage Dorset. What a difference a dark sky makes  compared to light polluted South Herffordshire. You can see many stars which enables you to star hop.

22mm Nagler, 30mm Explore Scientific and 16mm Nirvana eyepieces used.

Objects seen in this 1 1/2 hour session between 11.00 p.m. to 12.30a.m. were The Double Cluster, Hercules Cluster, Alberio, Andromeda Galaxy and M110 (I think. It was North West of Andromeda Galaxy nucleus). Also millions and millions of stars around Cygnus.

The 16mm Nirvana resolved M13 quite well given it is a modest ieight inch Newtonian. It also gave a bright and colourful rendition of Alberio. 

I am beginning to really enjoy this VX8 telescope. Being f4.5 focal length it does go out of collimation. But is so easy to re collimate with the eye is at the eyepiece.

I am a novice at collimation.

Great to see that you had a good night.... the difference a dark sky certainly is night and day in comparison.. to the point where after having a few dark nights, average nights are almost a disappointment... almost... still would rather being outside at the scope on a bad night rather than at work ;-)

On 28/08/2017 at 07:47, Stu said:

I love it down on the Purbeck peninsula, whereabouts were you observing?

Down at or near St Aldelm's chapel near Worth Matravers is pretty good :) 

I bet you can't see a street light there. I sometimes go up to Durlston next to the visitors building whwre there is the observatory.

But my inlaws live in Herston just near Swanage. The front garden. We are here until next Sunday. If anyone is down this way or lives here and want to meet up, then please get intouch.

Glad you have experienced a dark sky, imho it makes observing so much easier and more fun.  I was in the Yorkshire dales last year and I could see deep space objects with the naked eye that I struggle to find with an 8 inch dob at home in the West Midlands! Must admit when I got back and couldnt find things as easily I thought I was just going backwards with the hobby.  Got over it quickly enough though and now I just accept that light pollution was the reason, rather than me. Can't wait for the star party at Lucksall, definitely dark skies, hopefully clear ones as well! See you there

Archived