Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North American Total Eclipse of 2017 w/ prominences

Here I present to you for your consideration my second Solar Eclipse contest entry of the North American Total Eclipse of 2017. This one is a single exposure of the all too fleeting minute of Totality we had here on the Oregon Coast. This slightly underexposed picture really showcases the beautiful Corona and amazing towering prominences that became visible just then.

As before I used a Stellarvue SV80ED doublet refractor with a Canon 5Dmkiii full frame DSLR on an Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G tracking mount. I used ISO 400 and this one was shot at 1/50th shutter speed in Manual mode.

59a1c24f13886_Eclipseof2017ProminenceshotFINALSMALLJPEG.jpg.5983e7ee02e4c9603498500a5a5d1bf1.jpg 

I just slightly edited this single RAW exposure in Adobe camera RAW in shadows and highlights to bring out some wispy corona details and resized for posting. I hope you all have a chance to experience an event like this in your lifetime for it truly will never be forgotten. 

13 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

I don't think those are prominences but Bailey's beads. I could be mistaken...

Baileys beads are the sunlight streaming through the hills and valleys, as per https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/the-baileys-beads-effect-during-the-2017-total-solar-eclipse

They are a fleeting feature of the eclipse. There are two sets of beads - one just before totality as the moon almost covers the sun, and one after as totality ends.

Hope this helps :)

On 8/30/2017 at 20:26, HunterHarling said:

I don't think those are prominences but Bailey's beads. I could be mistaken...

Here's a picture of Bailey's Beads as well as the prominence showing for you. 

Bailys Beads 2017.jpg

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

One of the Nasa live feeds was underexposed compared to the others and showed the proms well. Your picture is one of the few that shows them clearly.

It's interesting how they are bright in the HA while the coma is white.

I found that interesting as well. The camera is un-modded and this is with a neutral WB so the colors are pretty spot on I would imagine. It was just an amazing event and as predicted I'm now hooked and must capture another. Nothing like it.

Archived