NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advise on targets for new telescope

H3O

Hi

This is my first post here.

I just ordered a SW 80ED. I will mount it on an celestron vx-mount and use a canon 700D for taking pics. I know the mount is not perfect, but i will start with it and upgrade later.

I wonder if you could give me some suggestions of some easy targets (considering my setup) to start taking pics of.

Best regards

H3O

Try M13. Not difficult to locate and the reproduction of the cluster and stars should give a fair indication of the scopes performance.

M31 will be too big (I think).

Cannot think of much else around - brain not working too well, try Stallarium, set your location, press F4 anf set DSO's to 6 and apply. All the dim ones go.

I would start with star clusters e.g. Owl closer as well as globulars.Nice and bright and do not need much exposure time. There is always M45 later in the year which will allow you to get some nebulosity as well.I use an AVX mount which I have had for several years since getting into imaging and am very happy with the results I obtain although I am guiding.

Thanks for the replies. Then i will start this adventure with some clusters and maybe some double stars. I was thinking about M45 too. It looks nice. Good to get some suggestions so i dont start with the cooler and too difficult targets.

About andromeda. Is it really too big for this telescope? I seen lots of beautiful pics of andomeda taken with an ED80. I thought it was possible to get decent results of andomeda with pretty simple setups?

/H3O

The Ring Nebula M57 is very easy to find and as it has  a lot of blue in it and is quite bright it's a good first small nebula. M27 the Dumbell Nebula is bigger and almost as bright. Both are well placed at the moment.

The North America Nebula and the Filamentary Nebula are both bright enough to get with an unmodified camera.

The various Messier Clusters are all good if you are only able to get a relatively small number of short exposures, although they look good if you can get more!

Lots to image. And lots to learn :thumbsup:.

About andromeda. I will not start with it but it is too big?

And another thing about polar alignment. Up to now i just align the tripod by looking at the hole in the tripod head and directed it to polaris. Do i need a alignment scope to get a more precise alignment or can i use some other method.

I ordered make every photon count so i might get more knowledge after some reading.

/H3O

2 hours ago, H3O said:

About andromeda. Is it really too big for this telescope? I seen lots of beautiful pics of andomeda taken with an ED80. I thought it was possible to get decent results of andomeda with pretty simple setups?

/H3O

Looks like M31 is a little too big to fit using the scope without a reducer.

IMG_3434.PNG

On 26/08/2017 at 19:21, H3O said:

Hi

This is my first post here.

I just ordered a SW 80ED. I will mount it on an celestron vx-mount and use a canon 700D for taking pics. I know the mount is not perfect, but i will start with it and upgrade later.

I wonder if you could give me some suggestions of some easy targets (considering my setup) to start taking pics of.

Best regards

H3O

My first target with my equinox ed80 pro on my Ava was M31, mainly because I always wanted to Image andromeda, and the ed80 was my first wide field tube.

Archived