NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount recommendations.

OK, so now I know just how difficult it is to find objects without a GOTO mount, and I already invested in the CG4 (which will be used for solar/lunar/planetary photography) I need to buy a GOTO.  Budget is $1500, which should allow a CGEM, iOptron (my preference) or something else based on the knowledge of everyone here.  Mostly it will be used for AP, so I will be hooking up a computer, and probably investing in a guider later on.  Since I have a scope and a few accessories already (thanks for all the pointers on eyepieces by the way, made a huge difference) it's purely a mount problem, and there are so many opinions/reviews it's almost impossible to decide.  The 150mm OTA is only 12 pounds, add to that eyepiece/a6000 camera and spotting or guidescope and I'm well within the limits of a decent GOTO mount I think.  I'm quite determined, so I'm not giving up.  The rewards outweigh the struggles, and it's a learning process.  I'm out $300, I can live with that.  And I can use or sell the mount (I have the motor drive kit for it) so it's not a huge loss.  So, what's the best option?

Bob

On your budget and with your requirements, it is difficcult to see past a Skywatcher EQ6-R https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq6-r-pro-synscan-go-to-equatorial-mount.html.  The Celestrons are similar, but, unless something has changed, you won't be able to use them with EQMOD.  If hooking up to a PC and using it for AP then you will probably want to use EQMOD.  Some will suggest the dual EQ/AltAZ model https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq6-mount.html.  To get significantly better than the EQ6-R you may have to double-to-quadruple your budget.

I get it, they are great mounts, but the polar alignment process compared to other mounts is somewhat lacking according to reviews.  Even the Advanced VX is better at setting up, and it's a lot less money.  There's a whole thread on here about the VX and how capable it is.  Either way, for basic AP and even intermediate, I'm not spending $5k on a mount.   I should be able to get decent results with BYEOS or BYNIKON and a decent GOTO mount, with a 750mm F/5 Newtonian I can't see why a $5k mount will give me better results than a $1.5k mount for what I'm doing.  EQ6-R is only $1300 so well within the budget.  I'm just concerned about the basic setup/alignment process, Stellarium/ASCOM integration and the idiot on the other side of the eyepiece.  I hear tracking is accurate on that mount too, definitely a plus, but I won't be doing 10 minute exposures either way.  Maybe in a year when I figure all this out I might expand but for now, getting started with a usable functional setup is the key.  I don't want to have to sell a kidney to do it:-)

Bob

16 minutes ago, RAWBob said:

I get it, they are great mounts, but the polar alignment process compared to other mounts is somewhat lacking according to reviews.  Even the Advanced VX is better at setting up, and it's a lot less money.  There's a whole thread on here about the VX and how capable it is.  Either way, for basic AP and even intermediate, I'm not spending $5k on a mount.   I should be able to get decent results with BYEOS or BYNIKON and a decent GOTO mount, with a 750mm F/5 Newtonian I can't see why a $5k mount will give me better results than a $1.5k mount for what I'm doing.  EQ6-R is only $1300 so well within the budget.  I'm just concerned about the basic setup/alignment process, Stellarium/ASCOM integration and the idiot on the other side of the eyepiece.  I hear tracking is accurate on that mount too, definitely a plus, but I won't be doing 10 minute exposures either way.  Maybe in a year when I figure all this out I might expand but for now, getting started with a usable functional setup is the key.  I don't want to have to sell a kidney to do it:-)

Bob

You lost me on the 5k mount ,a s/h eq6 in the uk will be about 500 to 600 sterling ,as for PA whack a polemaster on ,run through EQmod via stellarium ,CDC ,skytechx or numerous others thats it ,bobs your uncle .

The Skywatcher mounts are getting more available in the US now but may still be a little less unknown. Can you not purchasde a goto addition for the CG4 ? Just a thought.

If you can then the HEQ5 fits as it is a good mount but not quite the weight of the EQ6.

In the iOptron line the CEM25 is going to be too light for you but the IEQ30 is $1300 and the IEQ45 is just over $1500, but you have the taxes to then apply which here is always in the cost.

Not sure about the ES mounts, or the Meades but suggest checking them out.

Alignment is something that really just has to be learnt, my opinion is simply that these bits of software etc are there to improve the accuracy and maybe reduce the time but you still have to know what it is that you are doing and why.

With what you describe you are going to need something that will take 30lbs, iOptrons tend to be a little optimistic on the load they can handle. I went to look at one for a 3.5Kg scope and laughed at it as it looked like it would buckle under the weight. And the mount was rated at 5Kg. So half as much again as the scope.

Any clubs close to you? They tend to be a good source of information.

Concerning the AVX mount I am unsure, I hear some good things and about the same number of bad things. The best comment I recall was "I wouldn't recommend one to someone I didn't like." They were not a fan of the mount.

I see OptCorp have a couple of Skywatchers, they also have (waiting list) the AZ-EQ5. That is rated to 30lb and I know someone with one that rates it well.

My concern of Skywatcher products is the amount of firmware and electronic problems that deem to appear on them.

With your given preferencs it looks like the IEQ30 which may be a little lightweight, or the IEQ45 at a bit over budget.

No GOTO option for the CG4.  The Atlas seems to be another option, heavier payload, so it's on the research list.  The AVX mount may not be the best for a heavy load, and that seems to be the obvious detriment.  The EQ6 Pro is looking like the best of the bunch in that price range, the iOptron may be weight challenged but has a great set of features.  The more I look into this the more my decision making disorder kicks in.  I been a photographer for more than 30 years, and already have the necessary gear for that and for some AP.  No one seems to be deriding the scope I'm using so I'm going to assume it will do the job for now.  I'm not under any allusions about the need to upgrade it at a later date, it's just a good starter scope.  More than can be said for the CG4 unfortunately.  Anyway, I'll keep researching.  At the end of the day if I can't decide, the obvious choice will be the EQ6 R Pro.  It seems to fit the bill, and the load factor.  I'm just concerned it will take me weeks to figure out how to align it.  At least I've got my Newtonian collimation down to a fine art.  I guess that's a step in the right direction.

Bob

1 hour ago, RAWBob said:

Bob

You've got 2 kidneys haven't you?   The EQ6 is a great mount and, so long as you keep weight and focal length reasonable, should be fine.  I use one for my widefield rig and I have a 'kidney buster' for my longer focal length rig.

I have not research the Polemaster (sounds like the manager of a strip club) but I will see what I can find out.  There is no easy way but anything less complicated would be advantageous, especially after the struggles I had over the last two weeks with the CG4.  But I learned quite a lot along the way.  It was not a wasted experience.

Bob

12 minutes ago, RAWBob said:

I have not research the Polemaster (sounds like the manager of a strip club) but I will see what I can find out.  There is no easy way but anything less complicated would be advantageous, especially after the struggles I had over the last two weeks with the CG4.  But I learned quite a lot along the way.  It was not a wasted experience.

Bob

Don`t have a polemaster but they are highly rated and give quick very accurate PA.

1 minute ago, bottletopburly said:

Don`t have a polemaster but they are highly rated and give quick very accurate PA.

I have one and they are excellent, especially on a set-up that gets taken down regularly.  Makes PA very easy and very quick.

Another vote for the EQ6 (or Atlas, is it, in the USA?) Strong, simple, proven and well supported by suppliers and users on the net.

Polar alignment on it is dead easy. Once you've checked that the polarscope is correctly parallel with the RA axis, which you need to check on any mount anyway, you can get a workable PA simply by rotating the reticle so that the Plough and Cassiopeia are orientated as they are in the sky. You then centre Polaris in its little hole and you're off. If you want to refine the PA for imaging then the DARV method is very quick and intuitive, even performed in haste. https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/darv-drift-alignment-by-robert-vice-r2760

I'm not much impressed by software-based PA routines. They're fine if they work but, if they don't, how do you interact with them? (In my case probably with a hammer!)

Olly

I vote for EQ6 too, but be naughty like me and get AZ-EQ6 and thank me later, i hadn't any budget before so i was looking at AVX hardly, but then suddenly i had a budget and i bought AZ-EQ6, i just started to come to astronomy forums by February  this year, and within 2 months later i bought AZ-EQ6, i bought it for nearly $15xx from FLO without shipping and taxes in my country, maybe it could be cheaper for you?

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm not much impressed by software-based PA routines. They're fine if they work but, if they don't, how do you interact with them? (In my case probably with a hammer!)

Can be a bit like that Olly!!

I've been PA with a polemaster,really quick and easy..then still using the polemaster camera using sharpcap,just a few little tweaks.....id try the drift method but my fov at home is limited

The EQ6 seems to be the better option after a LOT more reading/research and reviews.  I'm pretty much sold on the idea, so at the end of the year (November at least) it will be ordered and I will have it by December.  After a month of using the CG-4 and all the scope work with planets/moons/the eclipse etc, it's the best choice for me I think.  It will sell easily on the second hand market if I choose to upgrade at a later date, and I'm sure it will work for what I need, at least for now.  I'm hooked, after shooting the moon in high res and the eclipse, AP is something I want to pursue.  The results of the extra effort pay off, and I shoot to print.  It's going to be interesting....

Bob

Yeah, the R version although I won't be doing any belt mods.  Or any mods.  I'm nowhere near that stage, just getting some photos would be a great start.  Just aligning the scope correctly would be a better start.  Just being able to track....  You get the picture (or at least I will, hopefully).  So much to learn, so little time.  But at least here at the Lounge it makes it easier.  No one around where I live does anything like this.  All my friends and neighbors are extremely curious....

Bob.

3 minutes ago, RAWBob said:

Yeah, the R version although I won't be doing any belt mods.  Or any mods.  I'm nowhere near that stage, just getting some photos would be a great start.  Just aligning the scope correctly would be a better start.  Just being able to track....  You get the picture (or at least I will, hopefully).  So much to learn, so little time.  But at least here at the Lounge it makes it easier.  No one around where I live does anything like this.  All my friends and neighbors are extremely curious....

Bob.

Have a star party at home invite neighbours round and infect them with astronomy :icon_biggrin:

That's a really good idea.  They all want to see the LiveView display on the camera of the moon moving across the display come September since it rises early.  I can get the scope set up with the new EP's I got (courtesy of the advice I got here last week) and then add the Sony and have them shoot pics of the moon.  I have to be honest, this is the cheapest way ever to get amazing shots of anything in the local solar system, you simply can't get a lens/camera/tripod set for DSLR use anywhere near the $520 cost of the Celestron Omni package.  I've got $10K worth of cameras and lenses, none of which would have got me eclipse pics like I took with the Omni on Monday, with nothing more than a first gen Sony a6000 woth about $400 and a $15 adapter.  I'm hooked.  Simple as that.

Archived