Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics Megrez 88 - A review - Part 3

centroid

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bum, I thought that was deleted :D

I mentioned it then realised that I couldn't follow it up with actual details so asked that it was deleted. I should've guessed you'd spot it :(

There is no doubt that there is a growing interest in triplets and I wouldn't be surprised to find some of the main players rise to the challenge. The problem is, will any of them be able to produce one that is both affordable and that will actually deliver the goods. Up til now I have yet to see a sub £1,000 'off the shelf' 80-90mm triplet outperform a good doublet.

I think I'll leave it there before I get myself in trouble :silent:

.... Up til now I have yet to see a sub £1,000 'off the shelf' 80-90mm triplet outperform a good doublet.

What happend to the Burgess Optical 91mm triplet - that seemed to get a good reception ?.

One conclusion that I've drawn from this thread is confirmation of just how good, visually and photographically, the ED80's are - especially as you can pick those up 2nd hand for as little as £150 these days - it seems to have become something of a benchmark.

When I had my Megrez 90 I thought it was a very nicely made scope but it did not perform any better than the ED80's I owned visually (I'm not an imager) - even the light grasp increase was barely perceptable (there is a rumour that some of the early ones were stopped down slightly because of a mis-positioned baffle).

I'm not knocking WO though - maybe we have to temper our enthusiasm with some realism - colour free refractors working at F/5.6 are dammed had to produce - I believe that even the TV Genesis and Tak Sky 90 show some colour.

John

Dave

I get the impression that really, maybe saving your pennies for now, could be the way forward, until you can afford something like the TMB-92?

I don't think you are going to be really happy with second best Dave.

My mum always says: "You get what you pay for!"

Great reviews by the way Dave.

Barry.

What happend to the Burgess Optical 91mm triplet - that seemed to get a good reception ?.

Its seems that this scope is now 'dead', pity as the spec and review does read very nicely :D .

Had a look at Burgess's web site, and its shown as 'limited availablity'. which proably means 'none.

Also checked their authorised dealers around the world, and none of them appear to have one.

Dave

Archived