skymax 127 eyepieces

nightfisher

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wont be using 2" ep`s with this scope, i have looked at a few 40mm plossl`s but at 40mm they end up with a 42 degree field, so a 32mm 50 degree is still going to be best..............of to look at max visions see if there is a 28mm 1.25 with 60+ degree field

11 minutes ago, Alfian said:

As far as I know Jules the 28mm max vision is a 2", the 24mm being the widest in 1.25". The MVs are nice EPs though, I have the 20mm and that's good.

I think this is now a case of finding out if there is a better 32mm plossl type ep or stick with the Revelation, i now have a redundant revelation 2" 42mm so that will end up in the classifieds

The Revelation is probably plenty good in such a slow scope.  I have used a similar GSO 32mm plossl to good effect in my Orion 127mm Mak and in my other scopes.

If you already had a 2" diagonal as I do for my AT72ED, adding a 2" visual back costs about $50 for experimentation purposes.  I tried it with my 127 Mak and found it massively increased the true field of view when used with a 40mm Meade SWA 5000 (Maxvision equivalent) without noticeable vignetting.  However, bright objects cast an odd, distorted oval sort of reflection artifact in the field of view opposite them once they cross beyond the edge of the actual rear opening.  All I can figure is it is a reflection off of a non-blackened surface that was never blackened because it is considered outside the normal field of view.  I don't normally bother with the 2" back because I keep the AT72ED on the other side of my DSV-2B mount for low power views.

Without getting something sort of on a whim I doubt that there will be anything that is better, depending on the definition of better, then a decent 30/32mm plossl. The TV will likely be the best, or safer, option, then the Vixen NPL's. But the quality can overlap and if the one you have is good then stick with it and perhaps just keep an eye out for something potentially better. Just at those focal lengths you may not really see a noticable improvement.

The "whim" comment refers to a couple of plossl's I have seen mentioned in the US, some of them go up to 56mm or thereabouts, Parks Optical. However they seem to be 2" eyepieces, sure I have read of a 1.25" at some time. Sort of thing to buy almost for the hell of it and have no expectations on it. Parks do a 50mm 1.25" plossl: ParksOptical  Bottom of the page.

No idea what it is like and in general keeping I deny everything, especially anything that refers or implies being a responsible and possibly sensible person. :icon_biggrin: One of those eyepiece I suspect is worth having in the box of bits as a talking point.

The other one is the Antares W70, they did a 25mm and with a 70 degree view, would come out wider but is the extra worth it as it is going to be small. Used to be sold by Rother Valley, however they seem to have few Antares now and I suspect that Antares may have ceased.  Not sure on that specific one's performance, I have a few of the shorter focal lengths and they are fairly good, however I moved on to TV plossl's and BST's. Antares were in general good items. Should actually get myself a 25mm if at all possible, actually should look at the remainder of the set as I have 3 and think the set is 5.

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

However, bright objects cast an odd, distorted oval sort of reflection artifact in the field of view opposite them once they cross beyond the edge of the actual rear opening. 

Interestingly I get exactly the same thing with my C925. I intend to take it part to blacken or flock anything I can find to fix it.

Like you I have found benefit in using 2" eyepieces in the smaller maks. Your eye is not that sensitive to vignetting so the extra field is still useable.

20 hours ago, nightfisher said:

I think this is now a case of finding out if there is a better 32mm plossl type ep or stick with the Revelation.....

I think there are a couple of 32mm plossls that might be better performers but their "betterness" will be much more apparent in a faster scope.

52 minutes ago, John said:

I think there are a couple of 32mm plossls that might be better performers but their "betterness" will be much more apparent in a faster scope.

My plan is to source a Revelation dialectric star diagonal (1.25) and if a Televue 32mm plossl crops up at a sensible price i will snap it up, the TV is said to be about the best of the 32mm plossl`s

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2017 at 16:36, nightfisher said:

My plan is to source a Revelation dialectric star diagonal (1.25) and if a Televue 32mm plossl crops up at a sensible price i will snap it up, the TV is said to be about the best of the 32mm plossl`s

Well i managed to bagged a used Revelation dialectric 1.25, and spotted an Antares 40mm plossl for a very sensible price, so that is on route to me, if i feel i dont get any benefit from the 40 i can always sell it on for what i paid 

Archived