Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY unit-power finderscope

Wikiastro

Hi,

as I regularly struggle to get my scope on target, especially in dark skies (too many stars!! :) ), I decided to have a look for some sort of wide angle finder.  I, of course, came across the ubiquitous Telrad and Quikfinder reflex sights, but if I can put £35 towards a lens, then I would rather do that.  I decided to have a go at making a very simple little gunsight type finder, inspired by this American gentleman, Jerry Oltion.  I also came across this article on how to tune up your telescope.

I used what I had lying around to construct this sight, except for a few bits.  I had the wood and the screw in eyes.  I sourced a locking ball head camera mount for £4.99 from the online jungle related store, and purchased some glow in the dark paint from B&Q for £5 (this may prove unnecessary!).  The paint is on the eyes and should provide a gentle glow (I hope).  I had a lot of trouble locating any 1/4" Whitworth or UNC to attach to the ball head and was going to resort to glue, but a local ironmonger had a few bolts and just gave me one (http://www.geospence.co.uk/ if you live in the Leeds area - they were brilliant).

This little gizmo screws into one of the camera connections that are already machined into my tube rings, and the little wingnut will allow me to align it.  My calculations suggest that if I rest my cheek on the end of the wood, it will show me a 5 degree circle of sky - not far off a Telrad circle.  All I need now is a clear night to try it out.  

David

IMG_20170814_184114.jpg

IMG_20170814_183839.jpg

IMG_20170814_183614.jpg

All I need now is for it go dark, then I can test it. Already had a minor hiccup - Rotating the tube causes collision between the prototype and the installed finder.  Next time, attach to other tube ring!  Shame there is already a thread in the other ring.

IMG_20170815_200655.jpg

2 hours ago, Wikiastro said:

Shame there is already a thread in the other ring

Open the ring up and you'll see the 'stud' is a screw that you can remove inwards. I discovered this when fitting a bar across my rings to mount my guidescope on. I had previously got confused as to why the 'stud' kept coming loose.

Archived