NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not really of importance but.......

does anyone know why there is such a large amount of people pronouncing the LHC as the 'large hay-dron collider' instead of the large had-ron collider.

As far as I can tell its spelt H-A-D-R-O-N not H-A-Y-D-R-O-N or H-E-Y-D-R-O-N.

I can understand the yanks saying it that way, the same as tomato and vitamins. But BBC news both online and t.v. along with paxman on newsnight were saying it the american way.

Just a thought that is all.

the english language is messed up but yeah we should stay away from americanisms. when i studied chemsitry one of the students was american and she pronounced everything different, for example.

instead of benzene she said benzine , and instead of aluminium she said aluminum

just plain wrong, ok rant over lol

the english language is messed up but yeah we should stay away from americanisms. when i studied chemsitry one of the students was american and she pronounced everything different, for example.

instead of benzene she said benzine , and instead of aluminium she said aluminum

just plain wrong, ok rant over lol

One of my great disappointments in coming to Canada was that I had just learned to pronounce "aluminium" and of course, Canadians call it (and spell it) "aluminum." I could also spell "aeroplane" and was marked wrong in a spelling test for not writing "airplane." Here, soldiers have boots, and elephants and cars have trunks; Amish women wear bonnets, and cars and monks have hoods. Things are delivered in trucks, and nobody knows what a lorry is, and an articulated lorry is a semi-trailer. And I won't even get into pogey, 2-4's, muskeg and mickeys.

Archived