Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filling the gap between shed based and pier footing

edjrgibbs

Hi

Looking for some advice. I'm in the process of building my home obsy (pictures to follow) and wanted to know what people do to fill the gap betwen the shed base and the pier footing. I have around an inch gap all around. 

Thanks
Ed

1 minute ago, edjrgibbs said:

Hi

Looking for some advice. I'm in the process of building my home obsy (pictures to follow) and wanted to know what people do to fill the gap betwen the shed base and the pier footing. I have around an inch gap all around. 

Thanks
Ed

Loft insulation. 

7 minutes ago, edjrgibbs said:

Thanks Martin. Might be easier as having just moved house there's no shortage of wast polystyrene. 

Polystyrene is another good solution, but Just be careful and don't pack it in there as it can be quite dense, so it is possible to transfer vibrations as it really doesn't take much if you're moving about whilst imaging.  The reason I went with loft insulation in the end was it obviously having very good insulation properties, but also being very "fluffy" there is no chance at all of me moving around transferring any movement at all to the mount.  Works a treat.

Cheers, will do. I went with an 8x6 obsy in the end so most likely will be setting up then running remotely through team viewer from the house so minimal possibility of vibration. I'll try to make sure there's a small gap though.

Thanks for all the advice. 

I used expanded polystyrene in the gap between the pier and the rest of the floor.

I was given  a large block of polystyrene which I cut into long strips approx. 6" wide and 1/2" thick on my band saw (but a long hand saw could have done the job as well). These strips bent around the pier footing ( which was circular ) without breaking and I filled in the rest of the floor afterwards without any problems.

It worked great ..... no vibrations getting through to the scope :-)

Mike

Archived