NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm Beginner

Hi all, and thank you in advance.

I have I bought Celestron NexStar 8 SE 8" .

I have Canon 350D,5D, 1D Mark III Cameras.

+ eyepiece + filters +Celestron NexImage CCD Solar System Imager .

I would like to capture deep sky photos , is these equepments will do the jop ?

If Not , what should i buy more to capture like this photo ? ( My DREAM )

m42verticalsmall.jpg

I decided to buy StarShoot Pro Deep Space CCD Color Imaging Camera I need your advice about this camera ,PLEASE .

Thank you & Best Regards

Mohammed

The equipment that you have will do the job, all you need is the time to practise with your setup. Welcome to SGL and just try it, then if you struggle, ask questions.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Couldn't have said that better myself. Astronomy is a process of learning and trying again and again. And constantly improving. Best wishes.

Hi Mohammed.

You would probably want to to EQ mount the scope rather than Alt/Az mount it . With the 8SE you would need a wedge that sits between the scope and the tripod.

The 8SE OTA is fine its possibly let down by the mount (single arm) and not tooo much spare load capacity for adding "Extras" to the main scope.

As KK said get some practice in with the kit you have got and explore its capabilities and possible "limitations".

I would also consider having the 350D modded - removal of the standard filter and replacement with one which increases the transmission at the critical Ha wavelenghts.

Billy...

Hi Mohammed...

Yes by modded I meant removal of the IR filter in front of the CCD and either leaving it out completely (camera is then pretty Useless for anything other than astro use on a scope) or having a UV/IR cut filter fitted as a replacement which will maintain AF etc and color can be compensated using a custom WB or by processign the raws.

Billy...

You can do it Mohammed, its going to be a steep learning curve though - that image is awesome - don't expect to get that sort of thing without a better mount, and a modified camera.

The modification consists of removing the InfraRed filter from the camera, as the filter blocks important light wavelengths in Astronomy.

You are also going to need to run a second telescope rigidly attached to the first, and a second camera to guide the mount with - such is required for a long exposures of objects.

Then you are going to need alot of luck, and alot of learning - its not a trival exercise to image astronomy targets...

Here is my first image of M42 (the object you showed):

m42-try3-postprocess.jpg

Here is the same object with a guided mount and a Canon 350D 3 years later:

m42-2008-01-16-Combined30+10sec-Small-Reprocessed.jpg

Its fun though, once you start getting something decent - just don't expect it overnight!

Cheers,

Richie

P.S. If you get that camera, pls post a review - the specs look good, and the price looks even better - my Q would be 'whats the catch'.....

Psychobilly

thank you again .

RichieJarvis

wooow , you got a great photos ( my Dream to get the same or less ).

Thank you for all these information, i wiuld like to buy an mount , what you recomend, Please.

i post the order for the camera and it is not yet shiped .

thank you all for your help

Best Regards

Mohammed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi my Dear Friends, again.

this is my 1st and 2nd Attempt .

at least i got my Dream .

1st :

2899142356_c363f952ba_o.jpg

2nd :

2903863822_5c733940c8_o.jpg

Equepment :

Celestron 8" se

canon eos 350D ( filter removed by my self )

wedge.

----------------

Thanks for all who helps me and supported me even by saying welcome.

thank you all here in this forum for every things.

to let my dream come true .

Best Regards

Well done! Glad to see your setting there - what length of exposure did you use for that?

From the noise in the picture, I am guessing you took a single exposure. Things will start to become alot clearer by taking many exposures of the same length, and then stacking them, using Registax or similar.

The aim of doing this is to increase the signal, whilst reducing the noise in the image - because the noise in the image is random, but the object is static, stacking really helps improve the image.

Good Luck!

Richie

Both Mohammed and Myself modded our own 350D's.

If he followed the guide I suggested it would have been this one...

http://astro.ai-software.com/articles/mod_350D/mod_350D.html

Not for the faint hearted - but my background is microelectronics (including prototyping and hand building Surface mount PCB's) and lasers/optics so it didnt phase me and I was prepeared to write off the camera if it went wrong..both "emotionally and financialy"

There are several companies that can modify your camera for you including amongst others Kevin at DSLRAstromod...

Billy...

Archived