NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Attaching adapter, FW, Camera to WO Star 71

Hi All,

Probably one of the noobish questions you will ever come across.

I have recently bought a WO Star 71 II and am using ZWO ASI1600 camera with ZWO 8 Position FW. Now the WO scope ends at a M48 thread so i have this M48 to T2 adapter.

The other night i had somewhat difficulty attaching the camera but even more difficulty taking it off the scope.

My image train is like such; WO Star 71 Scope ending at M48 thread > M48 to T2 adapter > ZWO FW > ASI 1600 Camera. (ASI is permanently attached to the FW)

I can't leave everything attached to the scope unfortunately so have to pack everything away (orders of chief commander of the house).

How to best attach the FW to the M48 to T2 adapter?

1) Should i attach each part one by one? (Attached M48 to T2 adapter first, then thread on the FW and then thread on the camera)

2) Should i attach M48 to T2 first and then thread on the FW with ASI already attached?

3) Is there a quick release adapter? Like the on i already have for my EdgeHD (T-adapter which has this orange O-ring)

I don't know, just trying to pick everyone's brains here. 

Many thanks in advance.

Did you lubricate the threads with something ?

I've got the adapter stuck before as you can see by the marks on it, I've got some Baader T thread caps that screw on so I can leave the adapter on, can't remember where I got them from now.

Dave

Star71-end-cap.png.1602eeaf8a40393b301e3a5640da0d4e.png

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Hi All,

Probably one of the noobish questions you will ever come across.

I have recently bought a WO Star 71 II and am using ZWO ASI1600 camera with ZWO 8 Position FW. Now the WO scope ends at a M48 thread so i have this M48 to T2 adapter.

The other night i had somewhat difficulty attaching the camera but even more difficulty taking it off the scope.

My image train is like such; WO Star 71 Scope ending at M48 thread > M48 to T2 adapter > ZWO FW > ASI 1600 Camera. (ASI is permanently attached to the FW)

I can't leave everything attached to the scope unfortunately so have to pack everything away (orders of chief commander of the house).

How to best attach the FW to the M48 to T2 adapter?

1) Should i attach each part one by one? (Attached M48 to T2 adapter first, then thread on the FW and then thread on the camera)

2) Should i attach M48 to T2 first and then thread on the FW with ASI already attached?

3) Is there a quick release adapter? Like the on i already have for my EdgeHD (T-adapter which has this orange O-ring)

I don't know, just trying to pick everyone's brains here. 

Many thanks in advance.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong way, but the more you can leave connected the better.  I personally try to leave as much on to protect the filters and camera sensor glass from dust as possible.  This typically means the camera and FW staying as an item, and then one of the caps above screwed in to protect it.  Another one is then used on the focuser (as Dave's image) to do the same.

I think the smaller pieces you take it apart in to, the less likely you are to get it all back in to exactly the same position as each thread has a small amount of play.  Could you make a padded box so you can lay you FW and camera in still attached to each other?

It is best if you can leave it all assembled if you can get permission to spend more money one of these Pelican case look alikes from Maplin works a treat plus there's room for other odds and ends.

Dave

WOS71.png.9927267189c5d3958564cfc376132bb1.png

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It is best if you can leave it all assembled if you can get permission to spend more money one of these Pelican case look alikes from Maplin works a treat plus there's room for other odds and ends.

Dave

WOS71.png.9927267189c5d3958564cfc376132bb1.png

:laugh2: That looks like a crime scene photo of dead astro gear

All great advice as always from you fine people.

I think it would be best if i do invest in a bigger foamed case because the case that comes with this is just too small for it to have the camera and fw along with the scope .

Dave, did you buy this case from Maplins? any ideas about the dimensions?

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Did you lubricate the threads with something ?

I've got the adapter stuck before as you can see by the marks on it, I've got some Baader T thread caps that screw on so I can leave the adapter on, can't remember where I got them from now.

Dave

Star71-end-cap.png.1602eeaf8a40393b301e3a5640da0d4e.png

Thank God nothing got stuck, it all unscrews nicely. Am i supposed to use any lubricant on the thread? if so, which one would you recommend? Would i also still need to use lubrication if i just leave everything on it?

Sorry for all these noobish questions

Boot polish, wow, that's something i didn't think i would ever hear but kinda make sense. 

How often would you think i would need to do this if i consider leaving everything on on a semi permanent basis? I say semi permanent because this camera will surely be used on a SCT when required which is going to be not that often if i'm being honest

About 450 X 300 X 150 internally, tried to do a link but they're site has been down all day.

They have them on special offer regularly so worth keeping an eye on them

Dave

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Dave, did you buy this case from Maplins? any ideas about the dimensions?

On 01/08/2017 at 17:07, souls33k3r said:

and it's down again lol

Well those cases appear to have disappeared from Maplins site, the maintenance doesn't seem to have done much to improve it either, if you click on " large rugged case " you get  a "page not found " message.

Hoped they might improve their search engine which was crap at finding things.

They were recently taken over so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, lot's of stock rationalisation and downsizing, they were very handy for popping to for bits.

I would go to your local branch and see if they have the case before they're all gone, may go myself later to see what's going on.

Dave

I'll do just that Dave. Thank you matey.

Their website does indeed give you a link to the case but when you click it, the page is no longer found lol what a palaver  

I'll give them a ring now to see if they can source one out and send it to a local Maplins for me ;)

Found out the dimensions of this case. Price is reasonable but the internal dimensions don't think would be enough at 485mm and that's the largest case that they do.

The current case that i have is 400mm :( shame. I think if i factor in the ASI1600 and FW (i'm only guessing) i think another 150-180mm would be an ideal number to give it enough space

Archived