Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video to computers on same router

tteedd

Hi

After some time busy with other things I am getting back to my scope and reconnecting the video camera and computer control. Idealy I would like to get the video stream (and perhaps control) indoors. Before I start looking at expensive equipment, and as my laptop in the observatory connects to the router in my house, does any one know if it is possible to transfer video/pictures to other computers using the same router?

Or, if this has been discussed elsewhere in the lounge, please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for the replies.

I have:

HP Pavillion laptop running Win 10 in the observatory (It has been unstable since upgrading to Win 10 and I'm thinking to return to Win 7 if I can't sort).

The video camera is a Phil Dyer Colour camera (modified Huviron) using 'media player for capture'.

The scope is a 10" synscan AZ DOB

I used to  observe visually or with a display connected directly to the camera but recently the camera has had a telephoto lens on it and been used as a 'super finder'.  However I have a desire to show objects indoors as my wife's hip prevents her from entering the observatory and I am returning the camera to it's original role. If I can do this cheaply via the router it would be great. Extending control of the direction of the scope would be a bonus and might prompt me to further tech advance.

Hi -

I do nearly everything remotely (except remove the roof and switch power on). I would  not ,imho, try and send video over IP  - too expensive and uses too many resources. As already mention use remote desktop software(RDS) which will show your better half everything she would she from the obs. Depending on your version of windows (home ,pro etc) you will already have a viewer and maybe a server version of Windows RDS(the bit that runs on the HP in the obs).

IMHO I would not,if possible, connect to the HP in the Obs  Wirelessly  but lay an outside quality RJ45/Ethernet cable from your Obs to your house(subject to 100m limit). If you don't have one already I would install a simple Ethernet Switch(1000mb min)  in the Obs to which you connect the House to Obs rj45 cable and the HP Obs  laptop. Once this is done you should be able to "see" the HP from the house PC/Mac/Smart TV etc - subject to your Windows settings (firewall,file sharing settings) . You then just use/install the RDP (whichever you choose Teamviewer,RDP,RealVNC,VNC etc) software to create a server end (HP Obs) / Client (house PC) end. 

Its not too bad to do and does mean you can be nice and warm and show your wife what you are up too!

Clear Skies !

I have a skyshed pod with ethernet cabling and control the camera in the pod on a laptop from another laptop in a  bungalow 5 metres away with teamviewer . I control the scope with the orion starseek wifi through my ipad. This all works well. The biggest problem is the quality of DSO's seen on other computers on the network compared with that on the laptop in the pod. It is not as good on teamviewer. I might try some other RDP to see if I can get some better quality. 

I also have  a home security system which is connected to the same router via ethernet cabling as well. My security guy insisted on hard wiring. It consists of 4 cmos cameras which are from memory imx 300's around 2mp and it was all quite expensive. The scope cameras are imx224,290 and 178. I could connect them to the security system so that my wife could observe DSO's on her iphone from anywhere but I havent got around to it yet. 

Paul

Archived