Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

Cosmic Geoff    177
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:48, ronin said:

Sounds maybe odd but would something like a laser pointer help you to point out where things are in the sky for your son to kind of add to the big picture as it were. I find that once a person has seen something a lot like then to have an idea of where they were looking.

I'd deprecate the use of laser pointers in astronomy unless we want to risk being classed with the idiots who shine them at aircraft. This problem has been in the news again recently, with legislation under review, and a pair of offenders threatened with a 600,000 euro fine.

• Like 1

Dave In Vermont    4,375

Anyone who intentionally aims these at an aircraft should, as but one penalty, be banned from any & every aircraft for life. Permenant 'No Fly List'-ed.

My 2¢,

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
sp.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Patrick2568422
      The definition of a moon is a natural object (or satellite) that orbits a planet. To my understanding Saturn's rings are made up of space debris, and they must orbit around the planet. Does that mean that each individual piece of debris and dust in Saturn's rings, and other planet's rings, count as moons? 
    • By Mike potter
      Can I say thank you for letting me join I have a autistic son  Mattie who love star gazing so on a very limited budget got a meade Polaris 130eq  md  for 120 of eBay any help with how to improve it for my son remember we have a very limited budget so any ideas many thanks in advance 
    • By Tof1234
      Hello.
      So i am very new to the world of astronomy and i just want to stargaze. I would like a telescope to look at the Moon in decent detail and maybe some other planets too and some stars too. I type this to get some help. Below i have multiple options for telescopes. I am on a strict budget, under $50 and i want a telescope that just does the job. i do not need any extreme scope just one that'll do the things mentioned above.
      Here are the options:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-x-50mm-Reflective-Monocular-Astronomical-Telescope-Space-Spot-Scope-Tripod/132194688993?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D9616727f6af84b67ad88a06df4fed9bb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D152515267398
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Performance-700-76-Reflector-Astronomical-Telescope-NEW-UK-FAST-DELIVERY-/191464648175?hash=item2c942eadef:g:6gEAAOSwBahVaDII
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900-60-Reflector-Astronomical-Newtonian-Performance-Telescope-60x900mm-Silver-/262966529588?hash=item3d3a06ce34:g:QRMAAOSwurZZNgwR
      Which one of those will be the most suitable for me and which one would you recommend.
      BTW, i live in Birmingham, UK.
    • By Patrick2568422
      I am not sure how much this is to do with astronomy but I was wondering whether dry ice could be used as a fuel source some how.  Just part of an idea I was thinking up. 
      I am only 13 so this is probably a stupid question.
      Thanks.
    • By Mathyas
      Hey Everybody!
      I would like to know, what eyepieces do you use.
      Im planning on to buying new ones. But i dont want anything cheap.(Not really expensive either) (Max +-160 dollars). I would like to have some eyepieces with big field of view for nebulas, galaxies etc. , and then some eyepieces which are great for observing planets with lot of details.
      Some good eye relief would be great too.
      My telescope is Dobson 203/1200.
      Thanks for your suggestions!!!