Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8" eBay scope

The Warthog

Just finished reading about a gent on another forum, who joined after buying an 8" f/4 scope for $400. He has had the tripod break on him, and can't figure out why he can't get it to decent focus. He seems like a very nice man, and noone has had the heart to tell him that the problem is that his scope is carp. He has had the OTA replaced. I wonder if they keep a small supply of OTAs on hand with parabolic mirrors, for people who just can't be satisfied?

It is to cry. :laugh: Or, :laugh:

I ahve seen one or two good used deals on there, lately, though. I don't know if you have the line of reflectors on UK eBay that are sold by colour? "Burgundy 6" Reflector...?" I keed you not. I have seen reviews of those. They have spherical mirrors, and short f/ls. I ownder if they use mirrors rejected by Chinese quality control?

And a review of one of the Burgundy reflectors.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1105&pr=2x6x26

I have to admit, I know you can't get a decent 8" Newt for $400, but I understand the temptation, when you see it advertised new, to think, "It can't be all that bad." Oh, yeah? This is a 6" Newt, but it is the Baytronix scopes that were advertised by colour on eBay. I'm sure the gentleman I was talking about got one of these, or a close relative.

HI Steve, As usual the forum is always entertaining!Read with interest about the "carp" scopes on ebay. Despite my built in caution some of them look attractive deals. For example I would appreciate any comments on the Phenix 127mm refractor which is often on ebay.

Someone on S @N forum says he has experience of this one and thinks its rubbish.

However the photos in the advert. of Jupiter and the Moon look pretty good.

Aint life cpmplicated!!

Pete

I don't think those scopes are as good as the ST80, I've owned a couple and as long as you accept the limitations of the design they are pretty good.

I searched the forums on CL and those Ebay scopes get a bit of a panning. I'd find out the actual make but I've forgotten it.... :laugh:

... if on ebay you type in "refractor telescope" you will see it. Seller is Skys Unlimited

Aaahhhh, that refractor.

(I am treading on eggshells here).

Several members own that refractor and all seem pleased with it. I am guessing that, for the price, it is worth every penny. Some believe it to be the same as the Meade AR5; whilst they probably do come from the same factory, I doubt that they are of equal build/optical quality...

Now, wheres that flame-proof suit!

Hi pete,

Myself, Mark and Spud have these scopes :laugh: :laugh:, I'm sure the quality on these things is inconsistant but Alan at Skies..does a no quibble returns policy. The scopes are not Meade clones but Burgess Optical/ Phoenix clones which also have a good reputation (check Excelsis). For £200 (OTA only) I can't see you getting a better planetary scope, it's beats my 6" Mak pretty confincingly on planets and thats no easy feat.

I can't comment on the mount Alan supplies with the scope as I bought the OTA only, but my scope is a cracking planetary/lunar scope. And as the guys around here will tell you, if I don't like a scope, I just get rid of it.... :laugh: I'm not someone who will claim a scope is OK so I can justify mt purchase, I'll just stick it back on Ebay!!

The one downside is that the focusser isn't the greatest (on my model anyway), but this is easily fixed.

Gaz

Archived