Synscan 1.7 firmware update

Relpet

In February I bought s/h a Skywatcher 150pds on an EQ3-2 mount.  Observing conditions in England are pretty useless for me but now back in France with the prospect of a number of clear skies forecast I would like to get to grips with the new toy.

The handset shows update 1.7, suggesting it is a bit long in the tooth compared to the latest version.  Trying to upgrade I have downloaded and installed the genuine Skywatcher USB cable converter to my laptop running Win 10 but there is nothing to suggest the connection has been recognised.  I have downloaded two upgrades, the latest and an earlier one in case upgrades have to be staged.  The manual tells you to run SynscanFirmwareLoader.exe but efforts to find that on the Skywatcher support page have been fruitless.  Everything works fine as it is but any advice as to how to achieve the firmware upgrade would be appreciated.  If I'm trying to do the impossible than that advice would also stop me wasting precious time.

Many thanks

Hello there,  I have been through a similar process in the last couple of days.   My problem was more serious as my EQ-6 mount was failing to respond at all.   Thanks to help and encouragement from SGL I had a go and it seems to have turned out OK....

First off .  determine what version of hand controller ( V3 or V4)?

Here are the programs for loading.....     http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/       read through and select the right files.  You will need  SYNSCAN FIRMWARELOADER  and then the most relevant firmware.

Here is a great video explaining the V3 routine.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7uGX7wpHqY

Here is a link to some extra information if you have the V4 handset.....   

Hope some of this maybe of help.....

Sean.

Thanks, Sean.  I guess i'm just a bit of a dumb cluck.  I thought I was running 1.7 but in fact by going into the Set up I find I am running 3.39.03.  Previous owner must have upgraded.  Will persevere along lines you suggest, thoguh, for future upgrades.

Many thanks.

Peter

I'm not sure about the v4 handsets, but if you have a v3 handset and are using a USB to serial converter then you will most likely need to change the interface speed on the handset to Lo.

To do this press "Setup" as you plug in the power and then "Lo" will appear on the handset screen.  Be patient though, as it will take ages to update in "Lo" mode.

Similar problem described on this thread: 

1 hour ago, Relpet said:

In February I bought s/h a Skywatcher 150pds on an EQ3-2 mount.  Observing conditions in England are pretty useless for me but now back in France with the prospect of a number of clear skies forecast I would like to get to grips with the new toy.

The handset shows update 1.7, suggesting it is a bit long in the tooth compared to the latest version.  Trying to upgrade I have downloaded and installed the genuine Skywatcher USB cable converter to my laptop running Win 10 but there is nothing to suggest the connection has been recognised.  I have downloaded two upgrades, the latest and an earlier one in case upgrades have to be staged.  The manual tells you to run SynscanFirmwareLoader.exe but efforts to find that on the Skywatcher support page have been fruitless.  Everything works fine as it is but any advice as to how to achieve the firmware upgrade would be appreciated.  If I'm trying to do the impossible than that advice would also stop me wasting precious time.

Many thanks

The v1.7 refers to the firmware bootloader version, not the Synscan firmware version. Synscan v3.39.03 is the most recent version of the firmware. The firmware updater and instructions can be found on the Skywatcher support page here

Thanks to all.  I guess we can close this.  I just installed the uploader.  Port was recognised, hand controller recognised, just for the heck of it I re-installed the latest firmware.  Text book operation; everything worked just fine.  How would I manage without members of this forum?  Bravo.

Good news... 

I had to have a few attempts to connect the hand controller to the laptop for updating the firmware, but once it connected, just like in your case, the update went without a hitch.

Archived