NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick session with vamped up mount

wookie1965

Set up at 12 o'clock two star alignment Algieba  in Leo and Alioth in Ursa Major. Went to Jupiter first cranked up the mag using my new to me Meade 4000 plossl`s, 6.4mm 156x a bit to much for the conditions dropped back down to 9.7mm just over 100x much better view. M13 next with 15mm 66x  nice view could not see any individual stars same with M92 still a nice view and all objects in FOV Hurrah. One of my favourites M57 lovely ring even better with UHC filter could see some colour (blue tinge). M81 nice splodge M82 bit more delicate but could still see a sliver. One of my favourite clusters NGC 457 (Owl or ET cluster) few doubles next 17 cygnus yellowish main with red/orange companion,  Albireo lovely yellow and Blue, back up to Hercules to 95 Herculis  nice white and yellow double.  Over to the double double easily  split with the 12.4mm last but not least Saturn not very good seeing as was over top of neighbours house but could clearly see the rings separated from the planet all in all a good session at last.

Nice report :) 

I also enjoyed M57 with my UHC last night. I actually pushed the magnification up to 112x and it held up surprisingly well. I was expecting it to dim a lot more than it did. I didn't notice any colour though. 

Have you ever tried pushing the magnification on M13/M92. @Stu suggested that to me last week so I tried M13 at 150x. It made a huge difference. I could make out lots of individual stars. Turned a fairly ordinary object at 75x magnification into something quite specia at 150xl.

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

Sounds like that mount is working well. Hope the gears are set up alright 

Damian 

Seems like it Damian had a few problems last week not hitting targets but calibrated the Polar scope again and used a battery instead of of a power supply last night after a couple of (PEC) the mount hit the targets and it is so smooth and easy to Polar align unbelievable thank you again I can now enjoy my hobby again. 

21 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Nice report :) 

I also enjoyed M57 with my UHC last night. I actually pushed the magnification up to 112x and it held up surprisingly well. I was expecting it to dim a lot more than it did. I didn't notice any colour though. 

Have you ever tried pushing the magnification on M13/M92. @Stu suggested that to me last week so I tried M13 at 150x. It made a huge difference. I could make out lots of individual stars. Turned a fairly ordinary object at 75x magnification into something quite specia at 150xl.

I did not try with My Tal I have with my 8 inch and it was brilliant loads of individual stars.

Sounds like a good night. There are some targets there I haven't seen so will try and check them out myself. By the way I followed your advice on M81 and M82 and followed from Phedca to Dubhe and then a bit more. I tried it first from a different star unsuccessfully but your way got me to it twice and it doesn't matter what time you try. So thanks a lot for the tip- it's my new favourite thing in the sky.

27 minutes ago, domstar said:

Sounds like a good night. There are some targets there I haven't seen so will try and check them out myself. By the way I followed your advice on M81 and M82 and followed from Phedca to Dubhe and then a bit more. I tried it first from a different star unsuccessfully but your way got me to it twice and it doesn't matter what time you try. So thanks a lot for the tip- it's my new favourite thing in the sky.

No problem glad I could help just passing on the knowledge if it helps all the better.

Archived