NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet another QHY163mc vs ZWO 1600mc thread

UKJay1971

Before anyone has a pop, I have read the other posts and I think I am ready to make a decision - I just want to see if anyone completely disagrees and why!

I am planning to grab the ZWO 1600 mono cooled with the dual filter packs in 36mm. I have thought long and hard about the QHY and the only two things that it has the ZWO doesn't is the heated window and 128mb buffer. The first isn't a problem since ZWO brought out the heater element attachment. The second? I won't be using it for any video and don't forsee taking any images in such quick succession that it will not transfer them quick enough, even on USB2.0

Have I missed anything obvious? I plan to order tomorrow all being well

• UKJay1971 changed the title to Yet another QHY163mc vs ZWO 1600mc thread

I think you will find the buffer is also used during the taking of single frames, when using full res, and not just for videos, also,the ASI needs another power supply for the heater, whereas the QHY has it built in, and the QHY is cheaper.. :) or it was...!

also I think the QHY has a sealed sensor chamber, so no desiccant tablets to worry about...

Hmmm - so now you got me pricing it all up and, if I were to go QHY at £1200 then I could get 36mm Baader LRGB and NB filter sets, and a ZWO wheel, and still come in slightly under ZWO package price ...

Well, I have been going through the same dilemma, backwards and forwards....and I still can't make my mind up...

i think the issue is that the two cameras are very similar, but I do like the extras the QHY has for less money, but I have now decided to wait for Atik version of this camera which is on its way, they in the prototype stage..... and there are pictures on there website, so hopefully won't be long before it hits the shelves.... :)

5 minutes ago, UKJay1971 said:

Any issues with filter wheel compatibility? I have to say I'm starting to favour it more now 

I haven't used it with a FW - I use mine with camera lenses and a Geoptik EOS to CCD adapter for widefield HA shots.  You may find that the flange to sensor distance (18mm with the standard nosepiece) is too great to use the ZWO filter wheel with 1.25" filters without quite severe vignetting.

Here's a link to a thread on the QHY website that explains how the QHY FW connects to the 163m http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5659.0

FWIW here's a very quick and dirty (over) process of the Elephant Trunk taken with the QHY163m through a Baader 7nm HA filter and Nikkor ED180 @ f/3.6 

10 x 600s G10 OS70

Elephant-Trunk_HA-QHY163m-RLD.thumb.jpg.6aede44e81b679a8a896486fda5121ce.jpg

HTH

Rich 

1 hour ago, UKJay1971 said:

Any issues with filter wheel compatibility? I have to say I'm starting to favour it more now 

I certainly wouldn't make a choice based on filters, or filter wheel, as you can always buy bigger which will then be future proof, I bought 36mm Unmounted....and there are a few filter wheels to choose from out there, buy the camera based on the camera alone, well that's my opinion... :)

I'm in the same situation - i just can't decide.

I have (very) high humidity levels and usually things dew up very easily without heating, so because of that i'm thinking about the QHY as it have heated window and sealed sensor room - it's also cheaper (but add the cost of larger filters and we're pretty even?).
I worry a lot about dew as I've had multiple nights ruined from mirrors, filters and sensor dewing up prior to designing a heating system for it.

I do however like to use lenses, and from what i can see the QHY model can be used with Canon lenses and the QHY filter wheel with some modifications? But does the modification remove the heated front window - or does the sealed sensor room and heated window remain and it's just the heating resistors being exposed? With the ASI it seems very easy to use pretty much any lenses without any modifications.

The ASI USB hub could also be useful as i'm thinking about an EFW and an autofocuser. Less cables hanging from scope is always a good thing.

29 minutes ago, Jannis said:

I have (very) high humidity levels and usually things dew up very easily without heating, so because of that i'm thinking about the QHY as it have heated window and sealed sensor room - it's also cheaper (but add the cost of larger filters and we're pretty even?).
I worry a lot about dew as I've had multiple nights ruined from mirrors, filters and sensor dewing up prior to designing a heating system for it.

I do however like to use lenses, and from what i can see the QHY model can be used with Canon lenses and the QHY filter wheel with some modifications? But does the modification remove the heated front window - or does the sealed sensor room and heated window remain and it's just the heating resistors being exposed? With the ASI it seems very easy to use pretty much any lenses without any modifications.

The ASI USB hub could also be useful as i'm thinking about an EFW and an autofocuser. Less cables hanging from scope is always a good thing.

The mod to use lenses with the QHY doesn't alter the sealed sensor/heating situation, it just replaces the standard nosepiece. I also believe that 1.25" filters can be used with this solution (see the link in my previous post).

The heated window and onboard RAM buffer are the features that made me choose the QHY over the ZWO. I get no dew on my sensor and quick downloads using usb 2.0, not to mention reduced amp glow (which totally calibrates out anyhow).

14 hours ago, LightBucket said:

I certainly wouldn't make a choice based on filters, or filter wheel, as you can always buy bigger which will then be future proof, I bought 36mm Unmounted....and there are a few filter wheels to choose from out there, buy the camera based on the camera alone, well that's my opinion... :)

Neither would I! However I would base my choice of filter wheel on advice from existing QHY163 owners. I'm looking at 36mm Baader filters so I just need to make sure that the wheel I choose will fit ok to the camera

13 hours ago, Jannis said:

I'm not bothered about using lenses - it will be purely for astroimaging work on scopes so it makes my decision a little easier

Well, I've ordered the QHY163m cooled after a lot of thought. I also managed to get a QHY 7x36mm filter wheel so that clinched the deal for me. A little cheaper than ZWO (not that that is an issue) but seems a slightly higher spec too. Baader filters to come, and then a new chapter in "why the heck won't this do what I want it to do?" opens :D

28 minutes ago, UKJay1971 said:

Well, I've ordered the QHY163m cooled after a lot of thought. I also managed to get a QHY 7x36mm filter wheel so that clinched the deal for me. A little cheaper than ZWO (not that that is an issue) but seems a slightly higher spec too. Baader filters to come, and then a new chapter in "why the heck won't this do what I want it to do?" opens :D

Where did you order the QHY filter wheel from, as haven't seen them...?

Awesome! :) 

I'm also leaning towards the QHY now. I'll probably get the same setup as you, with 36mm filters.
May i ask where did you order the camera and wheel from? I know Bernard sell the camera for a good price, but I can't seem to find the QHY filter wheel at his web page.

1 minute ago, Jannis said:

Awesome! :) 

I'm also leaning towards the QHY now. I'll probably get the same setup as you, with 36mm filters.
May i ask where did you order the camera and wheel from? I know Bernard sell the camera for a good price, but I can't seem to find the QHY filter wheel at his web page.

He has a couple in stock right now ;)

I am late to this thread, but when i post in another sites or forums i keep seeing members trying to defend or preferring that ASI1600 over QHY163, so even with those bonus features on QHY163 i don't know why they keep recommending ASI1600 then.

I am also planning to buy a mono camera, and only those 2 options came to my mind, so i have to decide until July or August when i will get the budget, and the mono camera will force me to go with a filter wheel too, so i will see what i will end up with.

Same sensor, same spec, one has heated sealed sensor window, one uses dessicant tablets. That's all I really needed to know for me to make my choice in the end. Also, QHY a little cheaper so I could spend more on Baader filters. Either camera is an excellent choice in my opinion.

Archived