NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M20 Trifid nebula from Sussex

carastro

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think your three colour channels are quite perfectly registered. What I'd do at this stage, personally, is split them, save them, take them into Registar and register/crop-pad red and blue to green then take them back into Ps. You could then replace the red and blue channels with the Registar ones.

OK Olly, well I did what you said and this time used the crop pad, but it has come out exactly the same.  I then tried to shrink the blue stars a little but still no difference.  the only thing that makes a difference is to reduce the colour noise, but then that's just disguising the problem and I lose all the colour in the other stars as well.   

Any ideas?

Carole 

29 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks.  

What makes the colours so bright, well I guess some of it is to do with processing.  compare my first and last image in this thread.

Carole 

Carole - no sorry I didn't explain myself very well there! I meant; what makes the blue blue and the red red, and what would make them distinct from each other rather than just one big purply smush?

47 minutes ago, carastro said:

Natural colour - if you took the image with a DSLR you would get the same colours.

This is an image I took of the same target with a DSLR back in 2011:

Carole 

M20 Trifid Nebula Blacklands 10 x 2mins 2-6-11 Crop deeper colours (3).png

But one shot colour cameras naturally get the colour wrong in astronomy because they shoot twice as much green as blue and red. This works in terrestrial light, ie sunlight filtered by the atmosphere and reflected from the photographer's target, but it does not work so well on astronomical targets which are, like stars and emission nebulae, sending out their own light.

Regarding the colour layer registration, I'm sorry my suggestion didn't work. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it isn't a big deal. Still a nice image!

Olly

Regarding the colour layer registration, I'm sorry my suggestion didn't work. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it isn't a big deal. Still a nice image!

Maybe I need to reduce the blue channel a lot more.  

Carole 

Archived