Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier 106 and friends in Astro Twilight

From last night. This was a bit of an experiment as we have no astro dark here now. Didn't come out too badly. Its 43 X 5min, iso 800, CLS filter, dithered, flats and bias. DSS and PS. 100D and 150 pds. I love the galaxy and stars bottom left. :icon_biggrin:

5926ac3fb68af_M106andfriends.thumb.png.de0c4e3aa62d3ab4861d3897d7432d14.png

Cracking image Tim given you took them in astro twilight.

you captured some nice detail in the 106. Might be worth dropping the red and upping the blue a touch?

Tim

Nice one Tim, great M106 and i'm loving that bottom left too.

Strangely just before i saw this i was checking the M106 area using the FOV calculator as i have plans to image the region tonight using my 600D and 40mm lens.

PS: Do you know if the Mgen dithers without guiding, i want to dither but can't attach my guide scope to the camera.

cheers.

1 hour ago, Cozzy said:

Cracking image Tim given you took them in astro twilight.

you captured some nice detail in the 106. Might be worth dropping the red and upping the blue a touch?

Tim

Thanks Tim..as soon as I posted it I thought it was far too pink. Here is another rendition, I flattened it as well to get rid of the gradient...

5926f1b917e9a_M106andfriendspostDBE.thumb.png.569b23f6fc80f7fa759b17da3236b5ae.png

1 hour ago, MARS1960 said:

Nice one Tim, great M106 and i'm loving that bottom left too.

Strangely just before i saw this i was checking the M106 area using the FOV calculator as i have plans to image the region tonight using my 600D and 40mm lens.

PS: Do you know if the Mgen dithers without guiding, i want to dither but can't attach my guide scope to the camera.

cheers.

Thanks....

I think you need to guide to dither. I have the camera and guide scope side by side on one of these:-

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/starwave-dual-vixensynta-175-side-by-side-dovetail-bar-kit-230mm-ota-separation-1972-p.asp

p.s. I'm not promoting the retailer (though they are good), just showing a solution...

2 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Damn, i was hoping it would be independent of guiding, that means more outlay :(.

I don't think a dual saddle works with my CGEM, can't remember the reason but i suppose i'll have to get one of these.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-slr-hotshoe-synta-finderscope-adaptor.html

Cheers.

I did try once to dither without guiding but it didn't. Try it if you havn't, you might have more luck than me. 

Why do little bits of metal cost so much in astronomy! :hmh:

3 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

I did try once to dither without guiding but it didn't. Try it if you havn't, you might have more luck than me. 

Why do little bits of metal cost so much in astronomy! :hmh:

I will give it a shot tonight Tim.

Yeah tell me about it,  it isn't exactly a piece of precision engineering.

Looking good Tim.

you can see more of the outlying area of 106 and it looks like the lights have been switch on in the other galaxies to, nice one.

Tim

Archived