NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope for a budding stargazer... where to start...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skywatcher 200p would be the one for me, however you mentioned camping and portability, if you are new into astronomy, like me, a grab and go scope might be a good start. I started with 10x50 binoculars wide FOV made sky hopping easy as I didn't know the constellations that well, Pleiades were amazing! Have moved on to a skywatcher heritage 100p as didn't want to spend a lot of money in case the lack of portability meant the scope sat in a cupboard and didn't get used; I grab my little scope at a minutes notice and I'm viewing quick without a massive cool down period (stands on a table and has a thread to mount on a tripod). It has certainly ignited my enthusiasm and even though I'm a newbie at this I'm now saving for that 200p!

On 5/27/2017 at 21:33, Dave In Vermont said:

Time to spread around a horror I've had in my collection of images of telescopes. It's either the worst, or the best of the two-worlds.

You decide,

Dave

592a28e602029_Celestron8inchSCTinDob-Mount.thumb.jpg.b0c266d367d834fc59b38aa92ed19e9a.jpg

I think it's not a bad idea. especially if the person had this hardware for a handful of peanuts. He or she can do astronomy.

On 5/28/2017 at 04:33, Dave In Vermont said:

Time to spread around a horror I've had in my collection of images of telescopes. It's either the worst, or the best of the two-worlds.

You decide,

Dave

592a28e602029_Celestron8inchSCTinDob-Mount.thumb.jpg.b0c266d367d834fc59b38aa92ed19e9a.jpg

You, sir, made my day ?????

• 1 month later...
On 25/05/2017 at 12:09, MrsC said:

Thank you all!

You've all been such fantastic help :)

I guess my biggest concern about the 200/150 dob is the size and portability. We have the room for it - but I'm not sure our back garden would make ideal viewing grounds what with light pollution from neighbours. How much of an issue would this be? If it was, I'm worried about how feasible it is (how heavy it is) to transport to a dark sky site. 

Are there other alternatives? These are the things that are in my short list...

Skywatcher Heritage-130p Flextube, £137

Skywatcher Explorer 130P (EQ-2), £193

Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian, £207

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian, £285

Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2, £319 (over budget, but happy to stretch a little for portability and if it's a good scope)

I know my budget definitely limits things, and I appreciate I'm not going to be an amazing telescope with it. But I just want something to start him off. I'm also paying for a years membership to our local astro club (Worcester), so he'll have the opportunity to gain experience and figure out what he likes over time, whilst still having something small/cheap at home to play around with in the mean time. 

I'm probably annoying you all with my total lack of knowledge! I'm sorry! But I really do appreciate all of your suggestions. 

A relative newbie here (18 months or so). Hope this helps.

I was not sure whether I would take to star gazing or not so decided to start with The Heritage 130p as I did not mind if it did not get much use after I bought it. Boy was I wrong! I have used it extensively from my own garden and as it is light(ish) and easily portable I have taken it on a few trips as well. I have invested in a couple of additional eyepieces which have improved viewing. I have been able to get good views of planets (Saturn Jupiter, etc.) and have been really surprised by the quality of the viewing through this relatively inexpensive telescope. If you are not sure how much you might use it then I do not think you can go far wrong with the Heritage. Additional bonus has been that as it is manual then I have started to learn about the night sky by reading Turn Left at Orion, which I would also recommend.

Just my opinion, obviously.

+ 1 for the Heritage 130 P Flextube. Bought one a few weeks ago (scope nr. 7), and am very impressed of the quality and price/benefit ratio. Excellent optics, decent Dob mount, easy to store and transport. A grab-and-go scope at it's best.

Add a ES 24mm/68°, or ES 26 mm/62 deg LER, a Seben 24-8 zoom, and a Baader 2,25 Barlow, and get satisfaction for years. It might be a lifetime scope.

Have a look at the huge thread on this on the CloudyNights forum:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/463109-onesky-newtonian-astronomers-without-borders/

There is also Neil English's review:

http://neilenglish.net/a-newtonian-travel-scope/

Stephan

I thought about an 8" dob but they are truly massive I'd definitely look at one before I bought it, I was truly staggered. If it were me I'd go for a smallish maksutov on an eq mount. So that's what I did! I love mine. Fantastic value and quality but importantly it's super compact so it doesn't take up half the house and offers a useful route for future upgrades and maintenance free. But I'm just one small voice in a world of dobs.

I'm scared. :homework:

Archived