Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7006 (cluster in Delphinius)

philipok

Anyone seen this recently? NGC 7006 (20h 59.1m +16deg 00'), a globular cluster and one of the furthest from the galactic centre. I was following the Astronomy Now monthly tour for Aug.. I found it very hard to see (mag 10) even with a 10".. the nearby Blue Flash Nebula was much easier (mag 12), I suppose greater surface brightness.. or maybe I needed more power (was at x100).

I've found low power to be best for dim objects, and sometimes you can detect the target by making sure it's in the fov and then tapping the OTA to make it jiggle a bit.. a moving target's always easier to spot. :clouds2:

Here's what the globular looked like a few nights ago, but take into consideration that there's no light pollution to speak of out here in the country. I've no idea what my visual limiting magnitude was, but the averted limiting telescopic magnitude was 12.7. Average transparency usually shows 12.9, and the best ever was 13.8 on an extremely transparent night (rare here).

that's very useful - thanks, so it is pretty dim and hard to make out.. the tapping the OTA does work I noticed!

Talitha - I'm moderately encouraged by the fact that it looks pretty much the same from your place as mine (and I'm bedevilled by quite a lot of pollution!)

Cheers

philip

You're welcome, glad it helped. :) If my sketch looks much the same as what you saw, then maybe your larger aperture compensates for your light pollution. :)

It really wasn't too dim, though. It looked like an elliptical galaxy to me. Btw, the surface brightness of 6905 is mag 10, but I can't seem to locate one for 7006.. everywhere I look, it says "99.9". :clouds2:

nevermind pegasus i can't wait for the pleiades and m31 to get up, although the other night m31 had crept a decent distance up and looked pretty good in my 130pm.

anyone ever seen more than just the core in m31? visually i mean

Hi Phil, I'm really impressed with how the webcam can pick out DSOs using short exposures (usually 30 secs). This means I can image 20/30 objects in one session with minimal processing time (about 5 mins each in Registax). I use it just to keep a record of what I've seen through the eyepiece - like an electronic sketch. This is one I took of M27 a couple of nights earlier on the same Astronomy Now tour.

8247_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Can't wait to start the September Tour but never seem to be available when we do get a bit of clear sky.

Hi Algol, Andromeda and the Pleiades are well within view - you just have to stay up a bit later. I can only see the core of M31 and a bit of haziness around where the spiral arms are

Plus its good to show newcomers to astronomy what they can realistically expect to see in their scopes. I wonder if anyone has ever sent a telescope back because it doesn't do colour like all the pics in the magazines. By the way Algol I noticed Uranus wasn't on your list of planets. I was looking at it last week and it's reasonably accessible at the moment.

Well I thought I would give this a try with my humble 5.1 inch. I can see pretty much the stars as below and in particular the Y shape of stars surrounding NGC7006. I can definitely see, with averted vision a very faint patch of light where the centre of the Y would be....pretty pleased with that to be honest.. :wave:

8267_normal.gif

(click to enlarge)

Well I thought I would give this a try with my humble 5.1 inch. I can see pretty much the stars as below and in particular the Y shape of stars surrounding NGC7006. I can definitely see, with averted vision a very faint patch of light where the centre of the Y would be....pretty pleased with that to be honest.. :wave:

You did well! :thumbright:

According to the 'Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects' (Luginbuhl/Skiff, Cambridge Press 1989, ISBN 0-521-25665-8), "this globular cluster is faintly visible in 15cm. The faint glow is about 1' diameter with a relatively bright core."

The observations in the book were made from four sites near Flagstaff Arizona USA, and the naked-eye limit ranged between 6.2 and 7.0 (the area is well-known for its transparent skies).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived