Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 2015 V2 Johnson

mikeDnight

Here's my impression of comet 2015 v2 Johnson from 20/5/17 under less than favourable conditions. There were regions of thin cloud that I could just detect forming over the town. The Comet, once found, revealed little more than a fuzzy coma and tiny stellar nucleus. Two tiny stellar points appeared to be embedded within the coma, and other than a small fan shape to the coma, any indication of a tail was far from certain.

I wanted to try out various magnifications but after tripping over my black swivel observing chair and headbutting the focuser, losing the comet in the process, I decided to call it a night. The Comet wasn't worth the extra effort of trying to find it twice in one night!

Mike

2017-05-21 13.39.18.jpg

Worth the effort Mike, not a very spectacular comet as you say, I took a few images of it last night and it looked slightly brighter than last time I saw it, never got a completely clear sky though.

I've got some "Mind your Head" stickers somewhere if you need one :grin: I'm always tripping over stuff in my obsy but the chair must be the only thing to fall over in your immaculate obsy.

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I've got some "Mind your Head" stickers somewhere if you need one :grin: I'm always tripping over stuff in my obsy but the chair must be the only thing to fall over in your immaculate obsy.

Dave

Thanks for the offer of the 'mind your head sign' Dave. I might be better off padding the pier and scope. The walls and floor are already covered with rubber matting, so all I'd need after that would be a straight jacket! :blink:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived