Too close??

Hi guys so i finally had a view of the moon so i put on my 26mm and i was way too close?? I would like to see the full roundness of the moon the 9.7mm was super close should i get one in between, was it too close cos the moon is obviously closer than a planet would be? Cheers oh also i seen jupiter too tonight the goto didnt take me there neither did the rdf i just winged it.. ergh still cant get this aligning right

12 minutes ago, Jess said:

Erm i have a meade etx 90 im not sure about focal length and so forth.. 

With the 26mm eyepiece you should see the whole of the moon plus much more around it. Viewing the moon with a plossl eyepiece of about 15mm will fill more of the eyepiece.

Meade ETX90 - aperture 90mm, focal length 1250mm.

Check your focus is correct. Even if the moon close to filling up the view in the eyepiece you should see craters and other features on the moon etc. If you just see a light round blur then you need to adjust your focus on the scope.

Here is what you should be seeing, the smaller circle is the field of view with a 15mm Plossl, the larger one is with a 26mm.

It does sound like you might be out of focus.

IMG_1995.PNG

With a 26mm eyepiece and 1250mm focal length you get about 48x magnification. Meades generally supply MA (Modified Achromats) with their scopes and these have a typical field of 40 degrees. So 40/48 gives just under a 1 degree view to you. So the moon "should" fit in, but only jiust.

Archived