Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neptune and Triton

geoff_k

The focusing is pants, but seeing that clear nights are like hens teeth these days, I thought I would give it a go.

Neptune and Triton with the ATIK camera and IR filter on the Europa at prime focus.

About 60 x 10 second exposures.

On a better night (which won't be long I'm sure) I will try again and get the focusing right.

post-13129-133877345816_thumb.jpg

No colour sadly, and it was at prime focus anyway. Did try pushing up the magnification visually, but conditions weren't cooperating.

As I write the sky is turning pink and there is not a star to be seen. Gives you an indication of what I'm having to work with so to get anything was a bonus.

Talking of colour on the planet, I did do another AVI with the ATIK camera in 'Toucam' mode and there is a hint of colour in the resultant image.

Taken at prime focus as well. Once you introduce Barlows and suchlike, getting it on the chip is almost an impossiblity.

Patience and a bit of luck is required.

post-13129-133877345818_thumb.jpg

Archived