Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cure my hankering for a 4022

DaveS

Somehow I've developed a fixation for a KAI 4022 based camera, possibly Moravian. Background is I'm looking for something bigger than my SX 694 and I'm still not convinced by the ASI 1600 despite having one and taking a few photos with it. @ollypenrice with his thread on Kodak vs Sony has whetted my interest again in Kodak sensors, so thinking KAF 8300 or KAI 4022. The greater well depth of the 4022 has its attractions but the smaller pixels / greater resolution of the 8300 counters. I like the square format of the 4022 as I wouldn't have to worry about orientation, but the 8300 has greater width for some targets, eg Markarian's Chain would fit the 8300 with my 130 triplet + reducer.

Help!

Give me just one killer blow against either to help me decide, or better still a reason to save my money!

BTW, don't say 16200, I know I want one but can't afford either the camera, or more importantly the filters, 50mm Astrodons :eek:.

I was looking at the 4022 based cameras and noted that they are lower QE, lower even than the KAF8300 and more noisy. Someone may correct me who has one but I always assumed that they would be better for LRGB than for narrowband as a result of their lower sensitivity. 

I really do rate the KAF8300 sensor and I came directly from a Sony sensor (albeit the ICX814) - For me the FOV and the real estate of the KAF8300 chip wins hands down over any other requirement. I guess it's horses for courses - I didn't think that the square sensor would be as much of an advantage to me as the FOV and so I didn't really give it much thought.

For sure my biggest consideration would be field of view..... Which one suits you best?

Actually, having slept on it I think I'd go for the 8300, for FOV versatility, QE and resolution. Also 8300 camera are a fair bit cheaper, enough to pay for a set of 36mm Astronomik RGBs, and possibly a 6nm Ha.

If ZWO brought out a mono version of their ASI071 it'd be a killer cam and I'd be on it like a shot.

In any case this is something for the long term, I'm so over extended that buying anything in the next few months is questionable.

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

If ZWO brought out a mono version of their ASI071 it'd be a killer cam and I'd be on it like a shot.

Never going to happen so don't hold your breath, there just isn't the market for it outside of astronomy. However, what will happen in the future is that they will move to vertical pixel architecture that allows for pixels of more than one color to be stacked within the chip meaning that you dont lose any resolution by it being a OSC camera. 

Well Sigma have been doing that with the Foveon sensor for some years but with debateable success. And it won't have the colour separation you get with proper dichroic RGB filters. Look at the colour response curves of the ASI071, a real mess.

23 hours ago, Adam J said:

I was looking at the 4022 based cameras and noted that they are lower QE, lower even than the KAF8300 and more noisy. Someone may correct me who has one but I always assumed that they would be better for LRGB than for narrowband as a result of their lower sensitivity. 

You can still get decent NB images with the 4022 CCD.  For example http://www.astrobin.com/141614/  (4.25hours integration)

They are effectively the same CCD as KAI11002 (with smaller pixels) or KAI16070 (with the same size pixels) but just a smaller CCD. 

With the larger pixels over the 8300 you compensate for lower sensitivity, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  

Archived