Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Memory Card for Canon?

Spacehead

I'm disgusted.  Sorry but I just get fed up.

I have a new EOS 1300D astro modded and need a memory card for it.  The manual states.

"The camera can use UHS-I cards, but since it is not compatible with the UHS-I standard, reading/writing speeds will be equivalent to SD Speed Class 10 at most. "

Can anyone - PLEASE tell me the best 32GB card for my canon - one which is of course compatible, but ALSO gets the most of the performance from the camera.

I guess the "point" here is......

"Are all cards as slow as an SD regardless of their bus type".  And just how slow is this?

FRUSTRATED!!!!

I use a scandisk extreme 3 in my 1100d and it adjusts to work fast and have no problems with it holding me up. Your camera the limitation won't be the card it will be the buffer size so I wouldn't feel frustrated. The buffer takes three continuous on raw on the 1100d before it has to catch up, jpeg can shoot continuously until the card is full.

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I had not heard of UHS-1 cards till this post, I have always used SanDisk extreme pro 10 cards and never had an issue.

Alan

Alan - your camera (the 650d) supports UHS-I cards - so you are not affected by the obfuscation.

'SD' isn't necessarily equal to 'slow'. This page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

has lots of info on the speeds and typical usage. E.g SD Class 10 (=10MB/s) will cope with Full HD video recording. As a comparison, a spinning platter PC hard disk will max out at about 60-100MB/s, an SSD would of course be faster.

10MB/s is enough for still images and should be fine for video. As happy-kat says, the buffer can be a bottleneck for continous still image shooting - it is on my 30D and to a lesser extent my 50D.

You can get an Integral brand Ultima Class 10 32GB card for £10 on Amazon. SanDisk is a bit more but only £12 or so for a SanDisk Ultra. No point getting a faster card unless you're going to use it in another device of course.

Archived