Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

June 8 - one for the diary !

andrew63

13 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

While for those who haven't heard yet, June 8/9 there's a mini Moon -  it's at apogee. :icon_biggrin:

andrew

Soon we will be 'celebrating' Average moons too :)

Reminds me of going to a Full Moon party on an island in Thailand. I assumed it was a special, once a lunar month thing, until I saw the Half Moon and Black Moon parties, so basically it was just a party every Saturday :)

I shall look forward to the Mini Moon :) 

• 1 month later...

Had a brief look out last night, at naked eye perhaps the moon looked slightly smaller, and in the telescope. It should have been a bit less bright also, but difficult to judge by naked eye.

andrew

Academic, we were clouded out again - so no sight of the Strawberry Moon...

Given that there appears to be a range of the 'super-ness' of supermoons, is there an equivalent range for minor-ness? 

With apologies to singers of a "Deck of cards"..... forget our Moon....

Saturn has 62 moons of which 53 have names. I forget the name of the last.

The 52 that remain might represent the weeks of the year.....

Of these, 13 have diameters larger than 50 kilometers and might represent the duration of a season.

Seven of Saturn's moons are large enough to be ellipsoidal in shape. These might represent a week. 

Two moons, Titan and Rhea are currently in hydrostatic equilibrium. They can represent a weekend.

Twenty four of Saturn's moons are deemed regular satellites; they can be the hours of one day.

Twenty four hours in a day; 24 beer cans in a case = convenience and perhaps no coincidence;

"Saturday" was appropriately named....

Archived