Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M106

My first attempt at M106 on a 'near-to-full-moon' night. A total of 45x300s subs with 50 off each flat, dark and bias - using an Atik 414ex osc - stacked and processed in PixInsight.

It could be worse - and I'm sure it could be a whole lot better - but at least it's a starting point under non-ideal conditions and shows that even with a low resolution, small sensor osc it's worth having a go on one of those all too rare rare clear sky nights.

Skywatcher 80ED DS Pro, NEQ6 ProAtik 414ex plus UV/IR filter ; Altair GPCAM plus SW finder/guide scopeSequence Generator Pro, PHD2, PixInsight

M106_sgl.jpg

3 hours ago, Adreneline said:

My first attempt at M106 on a 'near-to-full-moon' night. A total of 45x300s subs with 50 off each flat, dark and bias - using an Atik 414ex osc - stacked and processed in PixInsight.

It could be worse - and I'm sure it could be a whole lot better - but at least it's a starting point under non-ideal conditions and shows that even with a low resolution, small sensor osc it's worth having a go on one of those all too rare rare clear sky nights.

Skywatcher 80ED DS Pro, NEQ6 ProAtik 414ex plus UV/IR filter ; Altair GPCAM plus SW finder/guide scopeSequence Generator Pro, PHD2, PixInsight

M106_sgl.jpg

This is pretty good.

A few thoughts on your post, though. Firstly a sensor has no resolution. Only a sensor in a particular optical setup has a resolution. The sky itself forms part of that resolution. Depending on your precise setup you are probably imaging at around 2.2 arcseconds per pixel, which is not low resolution. It is very sensible and lies comfortably within what your mount's guiding and your sky's seeing will allow. It is a considerably finer resolution than that of the popular and expensive Takahashi FSQ106/Kodak 11 meg which has more APODS than you can shake a stick at. (3.5 "P/P.)

In terms of colour balance I think your image is a bit high in the blue and low in the red and I'd go easy on the noise reduction.

But who could disagree with your thought that it's a good starting point? Certainly not I, I think it's very good.

Olly

Thanks for the feedback Olly and I am glad you like the image. I am simultaneously at the low end of too many learning curves. I am very much at the beginner stage using PixInsight and the multplicity of variables associated with noise reduction and selective, targeted colour enhancement; I seem to oscillate between too red/brown and too green/blue. Still, we learn from our mistakes so I should be making lots of progress! Thanks again :)

8 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Thanks for the feedback Olly and I am glad you like the image. I am simultaneously at the low end of too many learning curves. I am very much at the beginner stage using PixInsight and the multplicity of variables associated with noise reduction and selective, targeted colour enhancement; I seem to oscillate between too red/brown and too green/blue. Still, we learn from our mistakes so I should be making lots of progress! Thanks again :)

30 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You hit the nail on the head. No one thing in AP is particularly difficult but there are so many things needed simultaneously!

Olly

Adreneline, I think you summed up in one sentence how I've been feeling for the last month too. I think it's thanks to contributors like Olly that we get the tips to flatten the curve somewhat  .... and then occasionally find new ones to climb too!

Top stuff.

Archived