Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 41P

I was able to see Comet 41P/Tuttle this evening with 10x50s.  I had been looking in the telescope so i knew the field stars. It's just a circular patch/smudge and very diffuse, but good to see a binocular comet.

andrew

I'm trying, 8x40, 10x50, 15x70 still no joy, probably not looking in the right area, and my sky is dark enough with my temporary street light shielding.
Even the skyline is out but looking straight up, Im having to use  the 32mm as a finder?

Jupiter has just risen (for me ) above the roof line, so a few hours time it might be in just the right position!

.......Just checked the web and I am looking in the right area for 41P, so back to check again!

I found it a challenge with my ED120 refractor as I posted above. I doubt that I'd be able to pick it up here with 50mm binoculars :icon_scratch:

The 32mm Panaview should do the trick with your 200 dob I'd have thought.

Looking in the telescope earlier, i noticed it was showing up slightly better at low powers John - 19x  so i thought it might be possible in binoculars. Scale wise like M33 but not as bright and it helps to know the exact spot !

andrew

I got it in my 15x70s last night. It was quite a hard spot, not so much in terms of its visibility although I did have to look around for it, but trying to find room for myself under the tripod with it being nearly at the zenith. I couldn't see it in the 10x42s, despite the conditions being pretty fair because they were able to do good work elsewhere.

Got it last night, with AV, in the Lunt Magnesium 10x50, but not with any other 10x50 (I have a couple for testing) or smaller. Don't expect to see what you think a comet ought to look like - it's very diffuse and probably bigger than you imagine, and appears as just a slightly brighter patch of sky.

Archived