NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus at 1.0 % Illumination, 5.50-6.21 pm, Takahashi FC 100 DL

paulastro

I was ucky to have another chance to observe Venus again this evening.  After abortive attempts to pick up the planet with binoculars at various times throughout the afternoon, I decided to sweep with the Tak  using a 2inch correct image diagonal (I find it easier to sweep with a correctly orientated image) with a SW 32mm PanaView eyepiece. 

I swept it up at 5.50 pm, I was struggling with binoculars with low bands of cloud making it difficult.  It looked stunning in the low power view, though I can't say I could tell the difference with the Illumination being at 1.0 % compared with the 1.1% it was yesterday :D.  Then used the Baader Mk111 Zoom and an 80A filter which gave a cleaner view.  Delighted to have caught it at 1%.  :happy6:

At 6.05 pm I lost Venus in some cloud but it re-appeared at 6.17 before finally being submerged it the low murk at 6.21 pm.

At 6.21 Venus was m-4.0, 59.4", 1.0% illuminated, azimuth 279 degrees and altitude 5 degrees.  (Celestron Sky Portal)

32 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I was ucky to have another chance to observe Venus again this evening.  After abortive attempts to pick up the planet with binoculars at various times throughout the afternoon, I decided to sweep with the Tak  using a 2inch correct image diagonal (I find it easier to sweep with a correctly orientated image) with a SW 32mm PanaView eyepiece. 

I swept it up at 5.50 pm, I was struggling with binoculars with low bands of cloud making it difficult.  It looked stunning in the low power view, though I can't say I could tell the difference with the Illumination being at 1.0 % compared with the 1.1% it was yesterday :D.  Then used the Baader Mk111 Zoom and an 80A filter which gave a cleaner view.  Delighted to have caught it at 1%.  :happy6:

At 6.05 pm I lost Venus in some cloud but it re-appeared at 6.17 before finally being submerged it the low murk at 6.21 pm.

At 6.21 Venus was m-4.0, 59.4", 1.0% illuminated, azimuth 279 degrees and altitude 5 degrees.  (Celestron Sky Portal)

Well done. I managed to just catch Venus in my scope for literally a couple of minutes. Clouds on the horizon then blocked the view till it went behind a house, so observed it when I could with my 12x50 binos. I had more luck with Mercury, and managed to observe its phase quite easily for quite a while until I got chilly and hungry, even with pushing the magnification on my AR90S frac. Had a quick peek at Mars too in the twilight whilst I was at it too. 

Congratulations Paul & Gus,

I'm not in the least bit envious that you guys got it and I FAILED! :angry4:

May be you had an unfair advantage Paul, with your scope being a tad longer than mine, which would mean you were nearer to Venus than I was and so could see it more easily?

Although it was a lovely spring day here with constant sunshine, the cloud that lingered around the Sun all day was thick enough to wash out any chance of seeing the crescent. Everywhere else was clear except where I wanted to look! I tried repeatedly throughout the day but it didn't improve.

Do I get any points for trying? ?

Mike

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Well done. I managed to just catch Venus in my scope for literally a couple of minutes. Clouds on the horizon then blocked the view till it went behind a house, so observed it when I could with my 12x50 binos. I had more luck with Mercury, and managed to observe its phase quite easily for quite a while until I got chilly and hungry, even with pushing the magnification on my AR90S frac. Had a quick peek at Mars too in the twilight whilst I was at it too. 

Well done Gus, your persistence certainly paid off - two minutes is certainly  better than nil minutes :smile:.

Well done Paulastro and Gus.

On 24th March, 14:00 hrs, I observed Venus in daylight with my 127mm Mak GoTo, with solar align. 25mm & 15 mm eyepiece. A wire-thin crescent. With the GoTo and a clear sky this is almost too easy. :happy11:

At around 18:50 hrs I saw Mercury with the naked eye. I located it yesterday with the GoTo, then later with naked eye,  so knew when and where to look.

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Well done Paulastro and Gus.

On 24th March, 14:00 hrs, I observed Venus in daylight with my 127mm Mak GoTo, with solar align. 25mm & 15 mm eyepiece. A wire-thin crescent. With the GoTo and a clear sky this is almost too easy. :happy11:

At around 18:50 hrs I saw Mercury with the naked eye. I located it yesterday with the GoTo, then later with naked eye,  so knew when and where to look.

That's how I managed it last night with a solar align utilising my Lunt wedge in the scope. The sun literally had just dipped below the ridge tiles of the house opposite, so I had to do a 'guesstimate' using the glow from the sun to do the alignment. Was pretty close too in my guess as Venus, Mercury and Mars were easily in the fov of my 14mm Morpheus EP when the Goto slew to them. :) 

Mike.  If you want some compensation for missing Venus yesterday, you can always join the Cloud Appreciation Society.  You can then appreciate the clouds which are obscuring Venus when you can't see the planet itself  :hello2::smile: :hello2:

Am I right or... Just come back in at 12.20 after picking up Venus with 7x42 binoculars. Sun hidden by the top of my garage and being very careful. Definite crescent phase seen. About 5 degrees above and to the right of the Sun.

Jeff

2 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

So who is going to be having  another go this evening  then?

Won't get a chance this evening as I'll be visiting my brother in hospital after he broke his leg quite badly and is having to stay in over the weekend. I will however be out when I get back home to try to nab some more DSO's! :) 

I'm impressed by the many observations of Venus at such small phases and so close to the sun. Bearing in mind the safety tip of hiding the sun behind something dependable like a building this opens up a new set of observing opportunities I had never even thought of.

Archived