Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade ETX90/125 or not?

4 hours ago, BlueAstra said:

I think I have narrowed it down to the following scopes: Meade LS6 (£1599), Celestron Nexstar evolution 6 (£1209), Meade ETX-125 (£699). I started out after a small portable easy to use scope for lunar/planetary with minimal setup time, few components, and the option for some serious webcamming. The LS6 is old but is fully automatic, the ETX-125 is new and cheaper, but both are small and easily transportable, but cannot utilise different scopes. The Evo 6 is also new, a bit bigger and heavier, but would allow different scopes. Any other views?

in the words of Columbo  "just one more thing"  here's a cheaper version of the Evolution mount (WiFi controlled by tablet/phone):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-fi-series-telescopes.html

I was looking at these prior to their launch last year but got a bit of a shock by the price compared to the previous incarnation. However, I see the prices have come down to what I would call fair.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Won't this be the case for the C5, C6, C8 etc xlt or is there something different about the OMNI. I had a cracking C6 xlt a while ago, wouldn't mind another!

Yep, those are included as well. I have always found celestron's choice of mirrors to be better graded.

Just now, Skyline said:

Yep, those are included as well. I have always found celestron's choice of mirrors to be better graded.

Agreed, despite both Skywatcher and Celestron both being produced in the same Synta factory, I find Celestron products just that bit better finished. Skywatcher are great but I don't mind paying a bit more for Celestron.  

Example, the focuser on my Celestron ED100 xlt is buttery smooth compared to the Skywatcher ED's I've owned.   

I had an ETX105 some time ago. Super optics and easy to set up, although it's true that the mount wasn't quite up to the standard of the OTA it still worked perfectly well. 

In terms of your shortlist- I'd be tempted to go for the ETX and save yourself £600 over the Evolution. The LS6 would be my last choice- it's the most expensive and doesn't add a lot to the Evo 150 (the Celestron alignment if really easy).

Archived