Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42

Chefgage

Having only just recieved my skywatcher 200p dob i have not beenout much observing due to the amount of cloud we have at the moment. Anyway we had gone down to my daughters school for parents evening when we got back home  it was pretty much dark and no cloud!

So out i went got set up and thrn noticed the clouds moving in. Determined to see one of the messier objects i tried for the orion nebula M42. I amazed myself that i found it quickly and was blown away by what i could see. The traperzium of stars jumped out at me and the nebula itself was nicely defined even with our light pollution. 

The clouds rolled in after 10 mins much to my annoyance as this has enthused me no end to try and find more of the messier objects.

When i went in i got out 'turn left at orion' just to make sure it was m42 i was looking at. Very pleased with myself ?

The way its looking weather wise at the moment it looks like i might get back out there tonight (two nights on the trot!) I did not notice M43 when i saw M42 last night so going to see if i can see them both together

The main light pollution for me is next doors outside light that they leave on most of the night.

I can move my scope so its behind our extension but that gives me limited viewing.  When I am in my usual place and pointed at orion as i was last night, orion is just above where their light is so even using the finderscope was difficult as everything just looked washed out.

So  I am currently constructing a black out sheet that will be attached to teo concrete fence posts which will block their light.  This will hopefully lessen the problem especially with everytime i look away from the eye piece my night vision is gone!

1 minute ago, Chefgage said:

The main light pollution for me is next doors outside light that they leave on most of the night.

I can move my scope so its behind our extension but that gives me limited viewing.  When I am in my usual place and pointed at orion as i was last night, orion is just above where their light is so even using the finderscope was difficult as everything just looked washed out.

So  I am currently constructing a black out sheet that will be attached to teo concrete fence posts which will block their light.  This will hopefully lessen the problem especially with everytime i look away from the eye piece my night vision is gone!

That kind of light trespass is indeed a right pain, and a screen might be the only solution.  My neighbour has now turned their light off, but new neighbours moved in at the next house along, and they have installed one which they keep on.  Aaargh!

I try to re-locate if possible, and hide my eyes when in range of the light.

Doug.

I could have a word with them but the way i see it, it is their light and if it was the other way round would i be happy keeping the light off (probably not).

So if i make a easy to fit and remove screen that way if i did ask them to switch it off they might not always remember. This will keep everyone happy :icon_biggrin:.

Going to get two wooden broom handles and some quick release clips later today. Then i will get some black out material.  I will post up a picture of my creation when its done!

Well done on your short session. A screen to block out the neighbours light is a good idea. It certainly works for me. I had the added bonus that when one neighbour saw me setting one up and I told them why they started to turn theirs off.

On a plus note even with the next doors neighbours night light I managed to split my first star last night -Mizar.

I know its an easy one to do but for me it was an achievement because I manged to star hop to it.

2 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I too would recommend double stars. Not only are some of them beautiful sights but finding them will improve your star hopping skills no end.

After the first time i found i moved the scope away then star hopped back to it a couple of more times. Just starting to get the hang of the upside down image in the finderscope and the image on the star chart (chart turned upside down)

19 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Well done - you're off to a great start!  Other objects which you can see OK with light pollution are clusters, and they are really beautiful!  Try the easy M45 for starters!

Have fun!

Doug.

Forgot to say I did see M45 as well, thats two ticked off the list!

5 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

Forgot to say I did see M45 as well, thats two ticked off the list!

Great, now go further west from M45 and take in C14 The Double Cluster, near Cassiopeia - an absolute treat, one of my all-time favourites!

Doug.

Archived