SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Esprit 80ed recommended eye pieces

I need some advice , I have a Esprit 80ED which I use for Photography , I have nephews and nieces who are interested in visual , they would probably want to look at the moon , Jupiter and the brighter DSO's  could anybody advise me on what eye pieces would be suitable , I have the stock diagonal and a 2" x2 SW Barlow.

Thanks in advance 

Hello. As long as your scope has an 1.25 adapter then you will be fine, if not pick up a cheap second hand one. If you  are after sensible price eyepieces with a decent fov and good eye relief then the BST starguiders could be the ticket. With a fov of around 60d (plossl about 50 and orthoscopic around 42d) then the fov will be wider and should be fine. If I remember correctly the eye relief is around 13mm plus, so again reasonable eye relief  also. The optics are good and for there price point of around £50 new, probably one of the best eyepieces around. The other eyepiece which may be worth considering is the Badder classic Orthoscopic, but less fov of around 50d and less eye relief i understand, but sharp optics and sensible money. 

I hope the above helps☺

For casual observers, children specially, a zoom is a better alternative. IMHO, no hassel of changing eyepieces, they can easily zoom to find suitable magnifications, or just have fun.

If you're not shy of buying used, there's a baader zoom (not mine) in ABS at the moment.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=123952

PS. Baader's has both 2" and 1.25" nosepiece, with your 2x barlow, it works eqvivalent 4-12mm, about all you need for viewing the Moon and Jupiter.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vixen SLV range used to work great in my old 80mm Esprit ... the 2.5mm was a bit dark for Lunar but all the other high powers were fine. If you really want to push the boat out the Televue Nagler 3-6mm Zoom is a great option but its a bit pricey so the nieces would need to be careful with it :happy8:

Archived